The Indian Navy is that wing of the Indian defense forces that has several responsibilities for safeguarding the coast, maritime warfare and rescue operations during disasters. We celebrate Indian Navy Day on every 4 December. We all are proud of it as they make us proud every day.
Here are 9 interesting facts about our ‘guardians of the oceans and real life superheroes of the seas.
Have a look…
1. Did you know Indian Navy was known as Royal Indian Navy? British East India Company established their navy East India Company’s Marine in 1612 which later became Royal Indian Navy. After India’s independence, Royal Indian Navy became Indian Navy.
2. Do you also think that Navy Day is celebrated to commemorate foundation of Indian Navy? Think again because it is the day when Indian Navy successfully executed Operation Trident.
3. Chhatrapati Shivaji Raje Bhosale is considered as the Father of Indian Navy. The reason is that he built a strong naval presence across the coast of Konkan and Goa to protect sea trade.
4. The first mission of Indian Navy was against Portuguese Navy during the liberation of Goa in 1961.
5. Another glorious fact is that INS Viraat was the Indian Navy’s first aircraft carrier and the oldest aircraft carrier in the world.
6. Our Indian Navy is among the top ten naval forces of the world.
7. Another interesting fact is MARCOS or Marine Commandos are the special force of Indian Navy. Do you know they are called ‘the few, the fearless’ because they are one of the most feared Indian forces.
8. The Ezhimala Naval Academy in Kerala(India) is the largest of its kind in Asia.
9. Our Indian Navy successfully completed an expedition to the North Pole and the South Pole. It also became first to reach Mount Everest.
What are your views? Tell us in the comment section.