Did you know that the man who invented Coca-Cola was actually trying to make a pain killer? And artificial sweetener was invented because the man did not wash his hands?
From ice cream cones and potato chips to popsicles and Viagra these are the top accidental inventions that changed the world.
Read on to know about such inventions that were actually invented because of a mistake!
Richard Jones, a naval engineer was working to create a meter to monitor the horsepower output of ships during World War II, when one of them fell to the ground. The spring kept bouncing from place to place after it hit the ground. Instead of crashing to the floor, the spring gracefully sprang downward, and then righted itself. He got the idea to make a children’s toy out of the wandering spring.
In 1879, Chemist Constantin Fahlberg came home for dinner with his wife. He started having his meal without washing his hands. While eating his meal, he noticed that everything he put in his mouth had a sweet taste, and discovered that the saccharin on his hands was responsible.
Rest is history!
Chocolate chip cookie
Ruth Wakefield while making a batch of chocolate cookies for her customers discovered that she was out of baker’s chocolate. So, she mixed semi-sweetened chocolate to the dough. But the chocolate did not mix well and thus, the chocolate chip cookie was born.
In 1905 soda pop became the most popular drink. Frank Epperson who was 11 years old then decided to make that at home. He accidentally left a batch sitting outside with a stir stick left in it.
The temperature was very cold and the next morning when he went outside he was surprised by his invention.
Ice- Cream Cones
In 1904, An ice cream stall at the fair was selling ice cream. The temperature was very high and ice cream vendor soon ran out of cups.
There was another vendor there who was selling crisp pastry cooked in a hot waffle-patterned press. The two then had the idea of rolling up the waffles, plopping the ice cream on top and the ice cream cone is born.
Fireworks originated in China some 2,000 years ago
According to legend, a cook was simply experimenting in the kitchen when he accidentally mixed together charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter, it exploded. And this is how firework came into existence.
In 1853, in a New York restaurant chef George Crum became very angry when a customer repeatedly sent potato chips back to the waiter complaining that they were soggy and not crunchy enough.
Crum sliced the potatoes as thin as possible and fried them in hot grease. Then he doused them with salt. Crum was shocked when the customer appreciated his invention and since then potato chips became famous world-wide.
So, sometimes it is good to do mistakes ! Share other inventions with us in the comment section!