Bharatiya Janata Party spokesman Sambit Patra is among two doctors under the Delhi Medical Council scanner for alleged negligence in post-operative care.
Dr. Sambit Patra (born 13 December 1974) is one of the official spokespersons of the Bharatiya Janata Party with the designation of National Spokesperson of the party and former Medical officer at Hindu Rao Hospital. He is one of the independent directors on the board of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) since October 28, 2017.
Rahul Gandhi has gone on back-foot over Kingfisher Airlines. Sometimes it seems the Airlines wasn't owned by #VijayMallya but by Gandhi family in proxy: BJP Spokesperson #SambitPatra pic.twitter.com/oumsBRsCrn
— India TV (@indiatvnews) September 13, 2018
Sambit Patra is a qualified physician and holds his Master of Surgery (MS) in General Surgery from SCB Medical College, Cuttack, Utkal University in 2002. He did his MBBS from VSS Medical College and Hospital, Burla, Sambalpur, Odisha in 1997.He qualified UPSC Combined Medical Services in 2003 and joined Hindu Rao Hospital (located in Malka Ganj, Delhi) as a Medical Officer.
In 2012, he unsuccessfully fought a municipal election as BJP’s candidate from Delhi’s Kashmere Gate and at the same time resigned from his job to pursue politics as his full-time passion. Much before the election, in the year 2010, he was appointed as the spokesperson for Delhi unit of BJP. In the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections in 2014, he campaigned for BJP and gained visibility on national television. When BJP rose to power, Dr. Sambit Patra became its national spokesperson. In 2017, Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) appointed him as an independent director of ONGC.
— Vishvatimes (@VishvaTimes) September 13, 2018
• Sambit Patra is a surgeon also, he started an NGO named Swaraj in 2006. This NGO was to improve the health and education standards of Dalits and Adivasis, particularly in the state of Odisha and Chhatisgarh. He used to take whirlwind tours to rural hinterlands and was horrified to see the plight of poor people of India.
• He campaigned for various legislation and the then UPA government didn’t give any heed to his requests.
• He joined BJP and continued to work as a surgeon and activist.
• He had also fought MCD election on BJP ticket from Kashmere Gate in 2012 but got defeat in the election. However, that didn’t lower his image in the party.
• BJP recognized his potential very soon and he was inducted into the Central Committee of the Party representing the state of Odisha.
• In 2011, He was made BJP spokesperson.
— Firstpost (@firstpost) September 11, 2018
- Sambit was a brilliant student from schooling days, apart from being a powerful orator.
- He did MBBS and later MS from SCB Medical College, Cuttack in 2002. He started practice in this hospital and one year later cracked UPSC Combined Medical Services Examination. He was appointed in Hindurao Hospital, Delhi as a Medical Officer.
- Dr. Sambit Patra is an Oriya Brahmin by caste.
- While working at Hindurao Hospital, he started an NGO named Swaraj in 2006.