Dilip Kumar has struggled a lot in his life to get the respect and stardom he has earned today. Born in Peshawar, Pakistan, Dilip Kumar was born as Muhammad Yusuf Khan. No doubt, he is one of the finest actors to have graced the Bollywood industry.
He has acted in more than 60 movies, including Devdas, Jwar Bhata, Mughal-E-Azam Naya Daur and Ganga Jamuna.
Dilip Kumar celebrates his birthday on 11 December. In honor of the day, we bring to you 6 rare facts and moments about the veteran star.
Have a look…
1. Before Dilip joined the film industry, he was a fruit vendor who used to sell fruits near BombayTalkies in Malad. He was spotted by the then superstar actress Devika Rani.
2. Did you know how he got the name Dilip Kumar? His real name is Mohammad Yusuf Khan. The name ‘Dilip Kumar ‘was given to him by Devika Rani.
3. Do you know how he got the title of ”The Tragedy King”? He played lead roles in tragic love stories such as Nadiya Ke Paar (1948), Mela (1948), Andaz (1949) that earned him the title of ‘The Tragedy King’ in Indian Cinema.
4. Dilip Kumar and actress Madhubala dated for around nine years and even got engaged. But their relation did not last longer!
5. Then he got married to 22-year-old Saira Banu. After their marriage, Saira unfortunately, lost the baby in the eighth month of her pregnancy.
6. Dilip Kumar is the first actor to have bagged the Filmfare best actor award.
Watch Video: Dilip Kumar The ‘Greatest’ Bollywood Actor Releases His Autobiography
We wish our most celebrated actor- Dilip Kumar, a very happy birthday! You can also wish him in the comments section below.