Indian street food is huge, it really is. Small carts selling roadside food is one thing which you will see all across India, in every city/town whether big or small. Aloo Tikki has long been a comfort street food across the country and is eaten with various accompaniments like chutneys, chickpeas, etc. A crispy, deep fried mix of potatoes with spices makes for this delicious vegetarian snack that you can have along a hot cup of tea.
It is one of the most popular chaat items in India, it’s like there can’t be a chaat stall without aloo tikki on the menu. It’s so delicious that just name itself gets digestive juices flowing in mouth once you have tasted it. This simple and easy recipe uses shallow fry technique to get crispy outer layer that covers soft and spicy inner crust of potatoes and spices.
For aloo tikki
- 4 cups potatoes boiled peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
- Also need oil to shallow fry
For Chola Topping
- 1 15oz can of chick pea, garbanzo beans, kabuli chana,
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons besan (gram flour)
- 2 tablespoons green chili finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons ginger finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
Preparation for potatoes
Boil the potatoes you will need 3 to 4 potatoes, do not overcook the potatoes they should be still firm, otherwise potatoes will be mushy, and tikki will not be crispy as desired. Peel and shred the potatoes.
Add salt, corn starch, and cilantro to shredded potatoes and mix it well with light hand. Don’t knead the potatoes. Divide the potatoes in eight equal parts and roll them, into patties. Cover the patties and refrigerate for at least 4-5 hours. This is an important step to make crispy tikkies. Also Recipe: Delicious And Crunchy Indian Fried Masala Chana Recipe!
– Wash the chick peas changing the water 2-3 times. In a blender mash the chick peas with one cup of water just churning few times. Chick peas should be mashed not pasty.
– Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat add the besan and roast the besan stirring continuously until besan is golden brown this should take about a minute.
– Add ginger and green chili stir for 30 seconds, add chick peas, salt, cumin seed powder, garam masala, and mango powder.
– Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes if needed add water, chick peas should be consistency of dosa or pancake batter.
– Turn off the heat, spiced chola topping should be served hot with crispy aloo tikki. Also Read: Palak Pakoda Recipe With Exciting Crunch of Onions!
Making the Crispy Aloo Tikki
– Heat the flat frying pan with less than 1/8 inch of oil over medium high heat. When oil is moderately hot put the potatoes patties leaving some space in between.
– Let it brown for about 2 minutes then turn it over. Shallow fry the tikkies until they are light brown from both sides.
- Do not cook on low heat, tikkies will become greasy and will not be as crispy.
- Aloo tikkies are ready serve hot with spicy chola.
- You can also serve crispy tikkies with cilantro chutney or tamarind chutney.
- Chola topping also goes well with samosas and Samosa Pinwheels.
Want to share your views about this article? Post your comments in the discussion board below, we would love to hear your thoughts.