Papad is a staple in every Indian household. It not only used to enhance the taste but also add that extra crunch to your meal. You can roast them or deep fry them.
What you don’t know is that you can make them at home as well. An easy kneading technique is needed to make Moong dal papads!
Here is an easy recipe with step by step picture to make Moong dal papad. Prepare dal papad at your home easily rather than buying it out from shops!
- Prep Time : 2-3 days
- Cook time : 6-10 minutes
- Serve : 4
- Level Of Cooking : Moderate
- Taste : Spicy
- Urad dal flour – 1.5 cup (200 grams)
- Moong dal flour – Less than ½ cup ( 50 grams)
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Papad Khar- 2 tbsp ( 12 grams )
- Black pepper – 1 tbsp
- Salt- ⅓ tsp
- Asafoetida- ½ pinch
- Oil – for frying
1. Take 1 tbsp black pepper, crush it and soak it in half cup water for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes add papad khaar to the soaked black pepper and mix well.
2. Take 200 grams Urad dal flour and place it in a big bowl. Add 50 grams Moong dal atta, 1/3 tsp salt, ½ pinch asafoetida, 2 tbsp oil, Mix all ingredients well. Grease your hands with little oil. Knead a stiff dough.
3. Add some more oil and pound for 6-8 minutes. Stretch with hands. Divide into equal portions, cover with a muslin cloth and set aside for 2-3 hours.
4. Take a piece of dough and grease it with a little oil. Grease the board with oil too so that the papad doesn’t stick to the board.
5. Press it to flatten , then roll it out very thin . Apply pressure on the edges and roll them out.
6. Spread the papads on a sheet and sundry, turning sides, for 2 days.
7. Papad is dried and ready. Stack them up and place in a container and use them for 4 to 6 months.
8. To fry the papad, heat oil in a pan and deep fry papad and keep aside. (Make sure you keep the flame high).
9. Take out the fried papad once it is slightly brown.
10. Take a serving plate and place slightly crushed papad,
11. On top of it add tomato, onion, green chillies, cumin powder, coriander powder, chat masala, sweet chutney, sweet yogurt and garnish with coriander.
Now moong dal masala papad is ready to serve.
- You can add ¾ tsp baking soda to it instead of papar khaar too.
- Make sure that you roll the papad from the edges and not from the centre.
Do not forget to share your experience in the comments section! We Would love to hear your beautiful thoughts!