Every sister who has a loving, annoying and patronisingly-protective brother know just how special a festival Rakshabandhan is. You tie a rakhi around his wrist, give him a sweet–and he gives you a gift, and promises to stand by your side loyally all your life.
Truth be told, this brother-sister partnership is much more valuable than any other relationship today. And you need to make sure you have the perfect arrangements for the special occasion that, sadly, comes only once a year.
So forget sweets you can order from your local halwai. Make this super-easy Badam Katli as a special treat for your brother. Trust us when we say, he’ll love the fact that you made something from scratch for him. Check out the easy recipe we have for you here.
2 cups almonds
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
5 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp pistachio and almond, chopped, for garnish
1. Soak the almonds in water overnight, or boil them for 10 minutes in water. Drain the almonds, and take the skins off. Let them dry out on a towel.
2. Put the almonds in a mixie or food processor, and grind them to a fine powder.
3. Heat the ghee, milk and cardamom powder in a large, non-stick pan. Add the sugar, and cook the mix till the sugar dissolves completely.
4. Now add the almond powder, and mix everything thoroughly. Continue cooking till the dough is slightly sticky and moist, but not dry.
5. Transfer the dough into a greased tray, top with chopped almonds and pistachio, and let it cool down and dry out in a cool place. Once the dough sets completely, cut it into diamond or square-shaped katlis.
Store the barfi in an air-tight jar in the refrigerator. You can make it a night before Rakshabandhan, or any day you like–it completely depends on the moment when you want to treat your brother to this delicious little barfi.
And you know what? This recipe is so easy that maybe, your brother can make it for you as well!