Bal Mithai is a brown chocolate-like fudge, made with roasted khoya, coated with sugar balls and is a popular sweet from the Himalayan, state of Uttarakhand in india. Since childhood for us, Uttarakhand was synonymous to Bal mithai.
Ii is a delicious, tasty and delightful famous sweet of Uttarakhand. It’s one of the famous desserts of Uttarakhand cuisine. Today, we are sharing two mouthwatering recipes of Bal Mithai for you!
Ingredients for Bal Mithai – Uttarakhand Dessert
- 500 gram fresh khoya / mawa
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar powder
- 3–4cardamom pods, seeds removed and ground
- 1 tbsp desi ghee
- 4 tbsp bal dana / sugar balls
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup -water
– Take Mawa & grate it in a plate
– Heat Ghee in thick bottom Kadai or Non Stick Pan,Keep the flame low
– Add Mawa & stir it till mawa leaves the ghee. Stir continuously to avoid burning, and cook till browned.
– Add Cocoa Powder & mix it well
– Add Sugar Powder, ground cardamom, ground cashews & Mix it well. (You can also use sugar syrup)
– Keep stirring till it become thick, Switch off the flame
– Now take a plate & grease it with ghee
– Put batter in a plate,level it with help of knife
– Keep it aside for one hour to cool down
– After one hour put cuts (no deep cuts) on it as per your choice,again keep it aside to cool down further
Meanwhile make Sugar Syrup of Bal Dana coating
– In a pan add Sugar & Water, Mix it well
– Keep boiling till it becomes little thick
– Sugar Syrup is ready, Keep is aside for cooling
– Now take Barfi plate & cut it deep in different pieces
– Dip one piece in Sugar Syrup & coat it with Bal Dana (Sugar Balls) all over.
– Place the Barfi in serving plate & repeat the same with every piece
BAL MITHAI is READY
Another Way of Making Bal Mithai- Uttarakhand Dessert
Ingredients Used in Making Bal Mithai
- Khoya – 11/2kg
- Powdered Sugar – 500 gms
- Sugar balls – 250 gms
- Lemon- 1 medium size
- Ghee for greasing
- Water – 1 litre
Method of Making Bal Mithai
For The Sugar Syrup
– In a heavy-bottomed pan mix sugar and a liter of water. Bring it to a boil on medium flame. After the sugar dissolves, add lemon juice. A scum will be formed on the surface. Remove it with the help of a spoon.
– Boil the syrup and keep checking the consistency. The syrup should be of three-thread consistency. Divide it into two portions.
For the Bal Mithai
– Take a heavy base pan or khadai. Put it on gas stove and roast khoya.
– Stir continuously to avoid burning, and cook till browned.
– Add , one portion of sugar syrup and cook further till the mixture attains a chocolate brown color, stirring along.
– When done switch off the flame. Take a plate and grease it with ghee or oil. Spread mixture on thali evenly.
– Allow to cool, then cut in rectangular shaped blocks.
– Slightly touch blocks with remaining sugar syrup and the roll them in sugar.
.S- Consider sharing this post, if you find it useful and/or interesting
Source- Internet and Research!