The Laughing Buddha is the Buddha of abundance and happiness.He is also known as the “Buddha of Wealth”. He is typically shown wearing a robe and prayer beads often hang around his neck. He is bald and has a big fat tummy. Laughing Buddha is cherished all over the world. He is found in homes, restaurants, places of business and so on. It is believed that laughing Buddha brings happiness, success, good health, sparkling energy, satisfaction, and wealth in one’s life. It delineates abundance of whatever one wishes for.
25 Types & Meanings Of Laughing Buddha
Laughing Buddha playing with children
It symbolizes good fortune coming from heavens. It also brings good luck and positive energies.
Laughing Buddha with a bowl
The bowl depicts a monk’s life. It is associated with renunciation of material possessions and attaining enlightenment.
Laughing Buddha with a fan
This one symbolizes happiness and joy. It is said that waving of the fan by Buddha sculpture depicts banishment of troubles.
Laughing Buddha with a sack or bag
The Buddha carrying sack symbolizes a traveler. One version is that the sack means that he collects people’s sadness and woes and puts them in his sack. While another version is that the sack symbolizes wealth and good fortune
Laughing Buddha with beads or balls
The one with beads is considered to be a monk representing meditation practice. The beads also symbolize ‘pearls of wisdom’. While the ball is considered to be a wealth ball and is said that it brings wealth and prosperity
Meaning of different types & postures of Laughing Buddha
1) The sitting posture of Buddha is considered to be that of love and it symbolizes balance of thoughts and tranquillity.
2) The standing Buddha symbolizes riches and happiness
3) Buddha sitting on a large gold nugget and ready to give a smaller gold nugget is a symbol of good luck
4) Buddha with his fan hat on head represents enjoyment and good fortune.
5) Buddha holding a gold block with his hands in upright position signifies abundant riches and good luck.
6) Buddha with fan in one hand and bottle gourd in another brings blessings and good health.
7) Buddha carrying a bag of gold on his back symbolizes prosperity.
8) Buddha carrying a bag of blessings on his right shoulder and fan on the left one protects during long journeys.
1) Placement of Buddha in the East sector (Feng Shui Bagua Formula) or in a direction where it could be seen by all the family members when they are seated in the living room or the main hall is considered to resolve the differences amongst the family members.
2) One should place a Buddha statue in his or her home to bring contentment and serenity. Buddha’s birthday falls on 8th May and it is considered auspicious if a candle is lightened on his birthday. It is said that it fulfills desires
3) Laughing Buddha displayed in the Southeast direction of the main hall, dining room or bedroom of the home brings windfall luck and increased income for the family.
4) If the Buddha statue is placed facing one’s Sheng Chi direction (Feng Shui Kua Formula) then it is said to bring wealth, helpful in self-development, well-being, and victory. It helps in achieving one’s goals.
5) Placing Buddha in office gives clear mind, reduces tensions and eliminates enemies’ effect.
6) Keeping Buddha on one’s desk enhances luck and fulfills aspirations.
1Direction Of Laughing Buddha
To Resolve Family Tensions
If your family suffers from arguments and tensions, then an image or figurine of the Laughing Buddha will solve these problems. Simply place him in the East sector (Feng Shui Bagua Formula) or in a direction where it could be seen by all the family members when they are seated in the living room or the main hall.
To Attract Wealth
Display laughing Buddha in the Southeast direction of the main hall, dining room or bedroom of the home to attract windfall luck and income in the family. Place it facing one’s Sheng Chi direction (Feng Shui Kua Formula) to bring wealth, helpful in self-development, well-being, and victory. It helps in achieving one’s goals.
To Fulfill Desires
Laughing Buddha’s birthday falls on 8th May and it is auspicious if a candle is lightened on his birthday. It is said that it fulfills desires of people.
For Betrayals, Arguments & Tensions
Place Buddha in office as it will help you reduce tensions and eliminates enemies’ effect. Display it on your desk at work. It will allow you to excel in your career. For students Feng Shui Laughing Buddha positioned on the study desk will allow you to attain your academic aspirations.
Where should you place a Laughing Buddha at home
* Place Laughing Buddha in the East Sector (Family Luck) (Feng Shui Bagua Formula) or a location where he can be seen when everyone is sitting around in your living room or main hall.
* If you wish to enhance their luck in the aspects of wealth, development, success and victory, displaying the Laughing Buddha in your personal Sheng Chi direction (Feng Shui Kua Formula) will help you.
* Display laughing Buddha in the Southeast Sector (Feng Shui Bagua Formula) of the main hall, dining room or bedroom of your home, to bring family members windfall luck and increased income.
* A Feng Shui Laughing Buddha placed in the household will serve to attract luck and eliminate enemies’ effects. It will also lead to the reduction of tension.
* For students who want to enhance educational luck, a Feng Shui Laughing Buddha positioned on the study desk at home will allow you to attain your academic aspirations.
Where to place laughing Buddha In Office?
* Placing a laughing Buddha in one’s home and the office is believed to bring in the desired positive energy.
* For business owners, the best placement for the laughing Buddha statue is the receptionist’s table.
* Placing Laughing Buddha on the workplace desk in office is known to prevent disputes, quarrels and arguments with colleagues, subordinates and superiors.
* Placing Buddha in office gives clear mind, reduces tensions and eliminates enemies’ effect.
* When you place laughing Buddha on work desk in an office, it protects you from office politics and betrayals.
What direction should laughing buddha face in a shop?
If you want happiness and prosperity then don’t forget to get the statue of this jovial monk. Placing a laughing Buddha in the east direction in the shop will protect you from politics, backstabbing, jealousy, and betrayals. Placing Laughing Buddha in the north direction at shop shall significantly advance the wealth, overall well being, and success in life
Who is actually Laughing Buddha? This is The Story of Its Origin
Laughing Buddha is also known as the “Buddha of Wealth”. It is believed he will bring wealth and prosperity to a home or business. But what is its origin & story?
Laughing Buddha is not the same as Siddhartha Gautama. Rather, the character is thought to be based on a historical Chinese Buddhist monk who lived more than 1,000 years ago. Despite the fact that the Laughing Buddha is not the Gautama Buddha, there still is a link between these two Buddhas as some strings of Buddhism regards the Laughing Buddha as an earlier incarnation of the Maitreya Buddha who is predicted to succeed Siddhartha Gautama to become the next Buddha in a future age.
The celestial Buddha named Hotei or Pu-Tai is best known as the jolly Laughing Buddha. In China, he is known as the loving or friendly one. He is based on an eccentric Chinese Ch’an (Zen) monk who lived over 1,000 years and has become a significant part of Buddhist and Shinto culture.
Because of this monk’s kind and generous nature, he came to be regarded as an incarnation of Bodhisattva who will be Maitreya (the future Buddha).
His large protruding stomach and jolly smile have given him a common designation ‘Laughing Buddha’.
Benefits Of Laughing Buddha
He will take away your stress, worries and fill your life with laughter. And yes he will take away your financial worries as well! Laughing Buddha brings forth wealth, good luck, and prosperity. It brings good fortune coming from heavens. It also brings good luck and positive energies. It is said that waving of a fan of Buddha sculpture depicts banishment of troubles. Laughing Buddha statues and dolls are some of the finest things to keep at home as a matter of bringing good luck, avert misfortune and also increase the overall ambiance and happiness in homes. Used as a feng shui to bring good luck, abundance, happiness, success, good health; any feng shui bagua area can benefit from the sparkling energy of the Laughing Buddha.
Why Is The Laughing Buddha Laughing? Legend
The laughing Buddha represents the joyful being within us, released when we see the Truth of what we are when we penetrate the emptiness and see through the patterns of suffering that have held our minds for decades. He represents freedom, available to each of us, and the joy of letting go of attachment to personal identity.
In actuality he was named Hotei or Pu-Tai is best known as the jolly Laughing Buddha.
The jolly good saint that he was used to going from one place to the other. He went to the Town Square and soon people gathered around him. He was so funny looking and always smiling that people used to crowd around him. He would then distribute sweets and small toys to all children who had gathered around him. Then keep his bag down, look to the sky and just start laughing. He used to laugh madly and he was not interested whether other laughed or not. Soon his laughter used to be contagious and all who had gathered would start to laugh.
The whole town used to laugh and laugh.After some time he would pick the bag, which he had kept down, smile to all, and go to the next town. All his life he did only this action and it was said that many people attained Nirvana, enlightenment just through this process.Hence he was called as the laughing Buddha because Buddha is someone who is enlightened and laughter was his unique method. Never before him or never after him such a simple aspect was used to achieve what all humans strive for-moksha or enlightenment.
Whole life Hotei lived in Laughter. Hotei was so great that just before he died he hid a lot of crackers and rockets in his clothes. So there also he created such laughter by the suddenness of the situation.So Hotei not only lived in laughter all through his life, he also died in laughter.