Hair coloring, or hair dying, is the practice of changing the hair color. But we all know that, regular hair dyes are full of harmful chemicals that at high exposures, have been linked with skin irritation,a suppressed immune system, and even cancer. So, in that case you must go for natural alternatives.
Try these 4 natural hair dyes (colors) if you’re looking for alternative ways to color your hair. But keep in mind that natural color products don’t usually last as long. You won’t be able to completely change your natural color, and the color may be slightly different than you imagined (as they have no chemicals).
Beetroot, a good source of iron, and carrots, a high source of antioxidants can give you a red-haired look. Pick these salads from your plate and juice them up. Spray this juice combination all over your hair. If you don’t prefer juice, make a thick paste and apply it all over your hair using a brush. Keep it for 30 minutes, use a blow dryer on your hair or step out in sun for 30 minutes to let it dry. Rinse it off with shampoo followed by a conditioner. Use colour protection shampoos for long-lasting effects. P.S. Wear your old dark-coloured T-shirt while you apply this on your hair.
Add some saffron to your tresses
Take a tablespoon of saffron and boil it in two cups of water for about 20 minutes. Let the liquid cool. Now apply the liquid to your hair from root to tip. Make sure your hair is completely covered in the liquid. Leave it for an hour or two. Thereafter, wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Henna is one of the best natural ingredients you could use to color your hair.
- In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup henna and water to get a smooth, thick paste.
- Apply this mixture to your hair. Ensure that you coat all your roots if you are trying to cover up grays.
- Leave it in your hair for about 2 hours and then rinse out with shampoo.
- Finish with conditioner.
How Often- Once a month
Lemon juice can help strip your hair of its pigment slowly, lightening it over time. It’s best used to achieve sun-kissed highlights naturally.
- To use lemon juice to color your hair:
- Pour lemon juice into a spray bottle.
- Spray the juice liberally onto your hair.
- Use a comb to spread and separate the juice evenly through your hair
- Sit outside in the sun for optimal results.
- Leave the lemon juice in for at least an hour, and then wash it out.
- You can use this twice in a month.
How to make the color of natural hair dye last longer
There are many ways to extend the life of your naturally dyed hair:
– Limit your use of hot tools like hairdryers, straightening irons, and curling irons.
– Use a water filter in your shower, which can help filter out color-draining chemicals like chlorine and heavy metals.
– When you do use hot styling tools, apply a thermal protectant to your hair.
– Avoid taking hot showers, and skip washing your hair when possible.
Now that you know how to make herbal hair color at home, what are you waiting for? Try these homemade colors and tell us about your experience in the comments section below.