Losing weight is not an easy process. If you do not see yourself winning the battle with stubborn fat, try barley water for weight loss.
Barley (Jau in Hindi), a fibre-rich grain, is served as a rice substitute. When it comes to losing weight, Barley falls in the same category as whole wheat, oats and whole grains.
Here’s what all you need to know about barley water for weight loss and its benefits!
Benefits Of Barley
• Chemicals in barley known as tocols have been found to lower LDL cholesterol and contribute to better cardiovascular health.
• Barley, loaded with fibre content, can help boost your digestive process. In fact, it makes you feel fuller for longer. Combined with a healthy diet and exercise regime, it may help you lose weight.
• It comes loaded with antioxidants, folate, copper, iron and manganese that help promote overall health.
• It is the presence of digestive fibre that helps keep your bowels moving smoothly.
• Choline is an important nutrient in barley water that helps with proper body functioning.
• Barley is said to prevent the development of kidney stones and water retention.
• Its antioxidant properties help clear toxins from the stomach, further keeping your stomach healthy.
Here’s a simple recipe that you can use to make your own barley water:
• Boil 1 kg of barley pearls until they turn soft (add 3 volumes of water to one volume of barley).
• Strain and collect the extract.
• If you do not like the taste, you can add a dash of orange or lemon juice or vanilla extract.
• You can add 2 teaspoons of brown sugar to sweeten it.
• Add barley water to your daily diet along with exercises and a healthy diet to lose weight, the healthy way!
How To Make Barley Sharbat At Home?
- Barley (pick pot barley, hulled barley or pearl barley)
- Rock sugar or salt (optional)
- Lemon or orange juice (as needed)
• Wash and soak barley for 7-8 hours.
• Drain the water completely.
• Now, add water and barley to a pot or cooker and pressure cook it until it turns mushy.
• You can also cook it in an open pan till the barley turns soft and tender.
• If you are using hulled barley, it takes more than an hour to cook in the pan. You will require more water as needed while you boil it.
• Let the solution cool to room temperature.
Also Read: The 6 Best Drinks & Foods If You’re Trying to Lose Weight, 5 Foods That Help You Stay Hydrated And Lose Weight, 4 Surprising Nuts That Are Great for Weight Loss! Now Eat Nuts & Reduce Weight & Top 6 Zero Calorie Foods That Will Fill You Up
Do not forget to share your experience in the comments section! We Would love to hear your beautiful thoughts!
Note: Since barley contains gluten, it may not be suitable for those with celiac disease. Moreover, the content, including the suggestions, is purely for educational purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. We suggest you to always consult your doctor or a dietician before incorporating barley into your weight loss diet.