When we talk about caffeine, one of the first things that come to everyone’s mind is coffee as it e has been consumed by millions of people since ages. Did you know there is a variety of coffee known as civet coffee/ Luwak coffee which is prepared from a cat poo? What is more shocking is that people are willing to pay hundreds of dollar for only a small amount of this coffee.
Know everything about this coffee from reasons for being so expensive to largest consumer of this coffee.
Here are some interesting facts about this kopi Luwak.
1. “Luwak” is the Indonesian word for a species of Asian Palm Civet and “kopi” means coffee. It is also known as cat poo coffee. Yes, you read it right, kopi Luwak comes from feces.
2. The Civet coffee is expensive because of uncommon method of producing such a coffee. It is produced from the coffee beans digested by civet cat. The feces of this cat are collected, processed and sold. After 24 hours of the defecation process, the feces are processed into coffee. These Indonesian cats are also called “Luwak” and hence the name.
3. Japan is the world’s biggest consumer of civet coffee. U.S comes next with importers purchasing nearly one-fifth of the estimated output. Whoa!
4. Around 70% of kopi Luwak coffee or civet coffee available at coffee stores and the Internet is NOT 100% real kopi Luwak.
5. Civet coffee is considered as a drink of elite. It is consumed widely in the Gulf nations and Europe, is sold for Rs 20,000-25,000/kg abroad.
6. Wild vs Farmed Civets helping produce kopi Luwak is a huge debate globally. Many organizations have called this cruelty towards the animal.
7. India, Asia’s third-largest producer and exporter of coffee, has also started producing this coffee.
Watch this video to see the process of cats’ poop coffee: