Cucumbers are extremely beneficial for overall health, especially during the summer since they are mostly made of water and important nutrients that are essential for the human body. They aren’t just good for your overall health, they’re a welcome addition to weight loss diets.
Known for their antidiabetic, lipid-lowering and antioxidant activity, cucumbers have a detoxifying, cleansing effect on the body. They’re also naturally “cooling” and a great way to prevent dehydration, constipation and overheating.
Cucumber is great for two reasons:
1. You can eat enough cucumbers to fill you up while staying in a caloric deficit to lose weight.
2. All the extra vitamins and minerals in cucumbers will satisfy your cells, so you have more control of hunger and are less likely to binge on high-calorie foods.
It’s High in Nutrients
Cucumbers are low in calories but high in many important vitamins and minerals. One 11-ounce (300-gram) unpeeled, raw cucumber contains the following:
Total fat: 0 grams
Carbs: 11 grams
Protein: 2 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Vitamin C: 14% of the RDI
Vitamin K: 62% of the RDI
Magnesium: 10% of the RDI
Potassium: 13% of the RDI
Manganese: 12% of the RDI
Weight-Loss Benefits from Eating Cucumbers
When you’re trying to lose weight, including low-calorie foods like cucumbers in your diet helps you lower your calorie intake to shed pounds. Cucumbers are very low in calories — a cup of sliced cucumber has just 14 calories, which is less than 1 percent of the daily calorie “budget” on a weight loss-friendly 1,500-calorie diet.
Even eating a large portion size won’t make you pack on the pounds. A medium peeled cucumber has just 24 calories, and a large unpeeled cuke still has just 45 calories. Because cucumber is low in calories even with a large portion size, it’s a very low energy density food. Filling your diet with such foods is beneficial for weight loss, because they’ll fill you up when you’re following a calorie-controlled diet.
Cucumber Detox Soup Recipe
Total Time: 5 minutes
- Cucumber – 1 (peeled and de-seeded)
- Onion – 1 (minced)
- Avocado – 1 (Peeled)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Half teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- A pinch of pepper
- 1 cup water
- Paprika or chopped coriander for garnish
Add avocado, cucumber, onion, oil, lemon juice, vinegar and water in a high-powered blender.
Puree on high speed until smooth. Blend in salt, chili powder and remaining ingredients. Serve, garnishing with coriander.
Cucumber Yogurt Recipe
Cucumber yogurt or raita is another delicious cool treat you can prepare for yourself.
- Grate some cucumber.
- Add it to a cup of yogurt with some salt and pepper.
- You can also add some finely chopped onions and tomatoes to enhance the flavor.
Eat this either with your meals or before it. This way your calorie intake will be reduced and it will promote weight loss as well.
Cucumber Lemon Water
- 1/2 Lemon thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cucumber thinly sliced- save 2 slices to place on your eyes
- In a large pitcher add the lemon and cucumber, then the ice and then water.
- Let this lemon cucumber water sit in the fridge for a few minutes before serving. Pour into a large wine glass, put your feet up and relax.
Also Read: The 6 Best Summer Drinks & Foods If You’re Trying to Lose Weight, 5 Foods That Help You Stay Hydrated And Lose Weight, 4 Surprising Nuts That Are Great for Weight Loss! Now Eat Nuts & Reduce Weight & Top 6 Zero Calorie Foods That Will Fill You Up
We hope you liked this article! Want to share your views about this article? Post your comments in the discussion board below, we would love to hear your thoughts.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion.