With temperatures in Delhi NCR crossing 40 degrees, the heat wave is at its harshest best. Summer 2018 seems to be getting hotter by the day. With most metro cities hitting temperatures higher than 43-degree C, which is the mark for announcing a heat wave the Indian Meteorological Department, cases of heat stroke dehydration, headaches, sun burn and other heat-related health issues are on the rise.
What Causes Heat Stroke?
The fluids in our body are responsible for maintaining the body’s temperature during the hot weather conditions. The body sweats to release the excess heat and cool down when it is exposed to heat for a longer duration. When the body loses sufficient fluids (hydration), we experience dehydration and heat stroke. This heat exhaustion can easily progress to a life-threatening condition wherein the body temperature can rise up to 105 degrees Fahrenheit and cause neurological damage. A heat stroke can happen due to two reasons-
Exertion of the body in hot weather conditions, for example, playing a sport in the heat for many hours
Older people, children, and people with illnesses usually have trouble regulating their body temperature. They may suffer heat stroke on exposure to high temperatures, even without any physical activity
Signs & Symptoms Of Heat Stroke
Few warning signs indicate the onset of a heat stroke. These are as given below –
- High body temperature (104 degrees Fahrenheit and above)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dizziness and weakness
- Flushed skin
- Rapid breathing and increased heart rate
- Muscle cramps and abdominal cramps
- Lack of sweat or sweating heavily
Here are Effective Home Remedies to Beat the Heat
Having cooling and soothing properties, sandalwood can naturally decrease body heat without causing side effects. Take the steps below:
Method 1: Add 2 teaspoons of sandalwood powder into a little bit cold milk or cool water to get a good paste. Then add several drops of rose water before applying the paste over your chest and forehead. Let it dry naturally before washing it off with tepid water.
Method 2: Apply a little sandalwood oil on the forehead , then leave it there for a couple of hours. Or, if you haven’t ever used sandalwood oil before, you can mix several drops of coconut oil with it, and apply over your skin to avoid skin irritation.
Method 3: Sprinkle the sandalwood powder over your armpits, back and chest after having a bath to help maintain a cool body temperature.
One of little known home remedies to reduce body heat in babies and adults is cardamom, which has been used for thousands of years until now. Many Indian food menus has cardamom, helping reduce body temperature and decreasing the internal heat.
This is one of the best remedies for treating a heat stroke. Lot of Ayurvedic practitioners suggest that this should be the first thing that you must reach out for. Applying onion juice behind the ears and on your chest can help bring down your body temperature.
This plant has great cooling effects which can soothe the human body and reduce body heat effectively. Follow the methods below to take advantage of mint:
Have a cool bath of peppermint by adding a little bit essential oil to the cool water. This is proven to lessen body heat.
Or, you can drink a cool mint tea for 3-4 times per day when you feel an increase in body temperature to lower it effectively. After a hard working day, you could make use of mint oil to soothe your head and reduce body heat. This is a good solution for both men and women.
Effective Tips to Beat the Heat
Take Vitamin C: Regular intake of foods rich in Vitamin C helps build your immunity against weather-related illnesses.
Maintain hygiene: It is extremely important to keep your surroundings clean. Do not let water accumulate in your surroundings, especially with doctors calling dengue an all-weather disease.
Switch off sources of heat: Luminous light bulbs generate unwanted heat. The same happens with computers as well as appliances that are left running through the day.
Diet for Heat Stroke
While certain health experts claim that a diet for heat stroke can help prevent the problem to some extent, there are no clinical studies to prove the claim. Nevertheless, the dietary recommendations for a heat stroke could be quite useful. Given below are some of the adjustments you can make to your diet, after a heat stroke:
* Eat a high amount of fresh fruits and vegetables and especially those that have a cooling effect on the body and contain a lot of water
* Avoid any food items that are high in salt, as excess sodium could hamper the regular production of sweat in the body
* Drink an additional amount of fluids, like fresh juice or an energy drink as it could replenish the levels of water in your body
* Consume some buttermilk, made from yogurt. Not only is this very cooling, but can also be great for the overall health.
* Add healthy sources of protein to your diet, which mainly include nuts, pulses and olive oil. This will steady your blood sugar levels, thereby preventing heat strokes.
* You can roast some raw onions with cumin and honey and have it. Raw onions in chutneys or salads can also cool your system.
* Radish is rich in water content, vitamin C, and is a great antioxidant that helps lower body heat. Radishes also has anti-inflammatory properties which is useful for fighting heat strokes.
* Watermelon: Full of antioxidants in summer watermelon can act like an internal air conditioner!
* Coconut Water is an efficient treatment for heat exhaustion and body heat as well. Coconut water has electrolyte composition which is great for the body rehydration. Moreover, it is jam packed with a lot of nutrients which can lift your energy.
Just simply drink a glass of the coconut water several times per day to take its advantage.
We hope you liked weight loss tips in this article! Want to share your views about this article? Post your comments in the discussion board below, we would love to hear your thoughts.
Note: Always consult a health practitioner before beginning any natural health routine.
Do not miss any updates on our website: https://www.awaaznation.com