Tomatoes are used in different form especially in Indian all type of cooking. You can easily get canned tomato puree from groceries but they are not healthy and nutritious as fresh tomato puree. We all love tomato soup in winters right?
There is one more benefit of making tomato puree/sauce that by pre cooking the tomatoes you strain out the excess water from the tomatoes and get a thick base that makes the beginning for many delicious recipes. You can collect the season’s best tomatoes and store them by making tomato puree.
So, today we will tell you how to make home-made tomato puree. I hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Recipe Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 Minutes
- Total Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Kg. Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar (optional)
- Vinegar – 1/2 cup (optional)
Method for fresh tomato puree
Remove any leave, stems and dirt from the tomatoes. Now mark a plus at the bottom of each tomato to ensure even cooking.
Now put them is a container filled with one cup water or in a pressure cooker .
After a whistle turn off the heat. Now you will notice that tomatoes have become mushy.and the skin of the tomatoes have separated from the pulp.
Grind the cooked pieces to fine paste. Your fresh puree is ready to use.
Want to store tomato puree ? Must follow these tips
- Pore the tomato puree in the ice trays and keep in freezer.
- You can also put the puree in an air-tight container. Always use clean spoon.
- You can add salt and sugar in the puree but it is optional.
- Use ripe tomatoes as they end up giving a nice dark red colour to the puree.
- You can add some vinegar as it helps in shelf life of the tomato puree.
- Do not add more than 1 cup of water to cook the tomatoes they will get cooked in their juices.
Video- Tomato Puree
Do try this recipe and share your experience with us in the comment section!