Delhi is not just a state, it’s a universe of its own. Delhi is the national capital of India and one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. Here are some interesting facts about this unique place.
You think you know all facts? Let’s check.
1. Delhi and New Delhi are different. Yes, you read it right! Most people think that New Delhi is Delhi but it is not.
2. New Delhi is home to world’s tallest brick minaret – Qutub Minar which is located in Mehrauli area of Delhi, is the world’s tallest free-standing brick minaret. Surprised right ?
3. It is kinda weird but it’s true it has an International Museum of Toilets. The museum name is, “Sulabh International Museum of Toilets”.
4. Delhi is the city of large-hearted, as people say “Dilli hai dilwalon ki”.
5. In 1912, The capital shifted from Calcutta to Delhi. India’s capital was Calcutta (now called Kolkata). In 1912, British Raj shifted the capital of India from Calcutta to Delhi.
6. New Delhi today is one of the fastest growing cities in both India as it is the government, commercial and financial center of India.
7. The wholesale market at Azadpur is Asia’s largest fruit and vegetable market Azadpur Mandi has earned the tag for Asia’s largest wholesale market for fruits and vegetables.
8. Khari Baoli is a street in Delhi is considered as Asia’s largest spice market. This market is a must visit for you.
9. In May 2014, New Delhi was announced as the most polluted city in the world by the World Health Organization (WHO).
10. Lotus Temple is the only Bahai Temple of Worship in Asia.
11. A sad fact is, according to a World Health Organisation (WHO) study, Delhi has surpassed Beijing in terms of pollution.
12. Delhi has Akshardham Temple , which has been entitled with a Guinness world record for being the ‘World’s largest Comprehensive Hindu Temple’. Read more about Akshardham Temple here: Top 12 Incredible Facts About Akshardham Temple
Want to share facts about more Delhi? Post your comments in the discussion board below, we would love to hear your thoughts!