Why do we celebrate it? Who is St Valentine? It has some dark roots. Valentine’s Day is celebrated all around the globe and is associated with romantic love, with millions of Valentine’s Day cards being exchanged each year. But do you know where Valentine’s day came from? How the day became so popular?
How did Valentine’s Day develop? Who is Saint Valentine
Little is known about him. According to a popular story, he was martyred and buried at a cemetery to the north of Rome on February 14 273 AD..
An Emperor Claudius II had an edict that prohibited the marriage of young people. The emperor didn’t want Roman men to marry during wartime. This was based on a thinking
Marriage could distracted young soldiers and married might be afraid of what might happen to their wives or families if they died.”
Valentine who was a priest went against it and performed secret weddings. For this, Valentine was caught, jailed and tortured for performing marriage ceremonies against command of Emperor Claudius II.
While in jail Valentine wrote a note/letter to the jailor’s daughter signing it “from your Valentine”. He was sentenced to his death, and the day he actually died? February 14.
Beautiful Symbols pf Valentine’s Day
* Ribbons, Laces and Frills
* Doves & Love Birds
* Love Knots
* Valentine Cards
Different sentiments expressed by different hues of rose:-
* Lavender – Uniqueness
* Orange — Fascination
* Dark Pink — Thankfulness
* Red — Love
* Peach — Modesty and Sympathy
* Pale Pink – Grace and Happiness
* Dark Red — Beauty and Passion
* White — Innocence, Purity
* Yellow — Joy, Friendship
* Black — Farewell
* Red/White — Unity
* One Dozen Red Roses — “I Love You”
Five valentine day quotes & wishes
1. If I had to choose between loving you and breathing, I would use my last breath to say ‘i love you.’!
2. Some people say they want a Prince Charming, But I Say I don’t. That’s because I have a guy a billion times better than that. Love you more on Valentine’s Day.
3. The smile on your face lets me know
that u need me there’s a truth in your eyes
saying you’ll never leave me the touch of
your hand says you’ll catch me if ever I fall.
4. As busy as we get, we need to be reminded that we are still sweethearts. Valentine’s Day is a good day for me to stop and realise how wonderful you make me feel. Happy Valentine’s Day.
5. I’m not asking for diamonds or roses this Valentine’s Day. I have your love and it is all that I need. You’re an amazing man and I love you dearly – Happy Valentine’s Day!
Watch Video: Did you know we celebrate the Valentines day in the memory of Saint Valentine?
What is your plan for this Valentine’s day? Let us know in the comments section!