Kartik Purnima, which is also known as Tripurari Purnima and Dev Deepawali, is being celebrated today, that is on 23rd November, 2018.
Kartik is the eighth lunar month as per the Hindu calendar and is considered the holiest month among all lunar months. This auspicious month holds immense importance as it is dedicated to the worship of both Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. The ritual of taking a holy dip during Kartik month begins on the day of Sharad Purnima and ends on Kartik Purnima, which is also known and celebrated as Deva Diwali, Tripurari Purnima or Tripuri Poornima in different parts of the country.
Kartik Purnima is the day when Lord Vishnu took the incarnation of Matsya, one of his ten avatars, to rescue Manu, the first man, from a great deluge. Kartik Maas is also known as Damodara Maas, as Damodara is one of Lord Krishna’s names.
Another legend associated with the day is Lord Shiva killing three demons Tripurasura – Vidyunmali, Tarakaksha, and Viryavana. Hence it is also known as Tripura Purnima or Tripurari Purnima. It is believed that Gods celebrate the day in heaven by lighting diyas and hence the day is known as Dev Diwali. People in Varanasi celebrate the day with great joy by making rangolis, lighting diyas in front of the house and on the banks of river Ganga.
Rituals To Follow
* There is a ritual to take a holy dip in the Ganges which is known as ‘Kartik Snan’. People also observe a day-long fast and perform Rudra Abhishek of Lord Shiva, by bathing him in milk and honey. Devotees also perform Satya Narayana Vrat on Kartik Purnima.
* Offer milk to mother in a silver vessel – this will help your relationship with your mother and will help make your Moon positive. The mother and child need to give “kaudi” to each other. After this, the kaudi should be placed in a white cloth or in a silver box and put at Ma Durga’s feet in your place of worship. This will prove to be very beneficial in the health and luck of both the child and mother.
* If you live away from your mother, then donate some copper vessel filled either with something made of wheat flour or just the wheat flour by itself. Do this in the morning.
* If you do any yagya/fire yoga for your Pitra – so your ancestors’ are happy and peaceful, on this day, then it will give very good results.
* If you can’t do yag, then at least remember them. Everyone except people whose moon sign is Taurus should donate milk.
* Donating khichdi, coconut, black clothes and milk at the Ganges ghat with your whole family on this day will prove very beneficial to you. Make sure you thank the person accepting your donation.
* It’s good to light a candle near the peepal tree and tulsi plants. Any donations, mantra chanting, or any other spiritual activity done on this day is equivalent to doing 10 yagya/fire yoga, so do as much as you can.
Tithi (November 23)
Purnima tithi begins: 12:53 pm on November 22
Purnima tithi ends: 11:08 am on November 23
Wish you a very happy Kartik Purnima 2018!
Stay connected with Awaaznation for all updates!!