Today, Magha Purnima is being celebrated throughout the country. This is the first time that Magha Purnima, Super Moon, Blue Moon and Lunar eclipse are coming together.
It is also being called a rare coincidence. On the day of Magha Purnima, Sant Ravidas Jayanti, Shri Lalit and Shri Bhairav Jayanti are also celebrated.
What is the meaning of Maghi Purnima?
For many people, the day of the full moon of Magh Month is considered very special. The moon is in its full form on this date. It is said that if you dip into the Ganges on this day, then all your troubles will be removed.
Vishnu is worshiped after bathing in the morning of Maghi Purnima. Then devotees donate food, clothes, sesame, blankets, cotton, jaggery, ghee, shoes, fruits, food etc. to the poor. Legend says that speaking on this day should not be too loud or angry at anyone.
Devotee gets a touch of heaven by bathing in Ganges
It is believed that in the month of Magh, all the gods come to meet the devotees on earth. Brahmavavartapura mentions that Lord Vishnu resides in Gangajal (Holy Water) on Maghi Purnima.
For this reason, it is believed that by bathing in the Ganga, devotees get moksha (Salvation). According to the Puranas, on this day Lord Vishnu bless those people who perform Maagh Snaan (Bath).
Story of Maghi Purnima
Long ago, a Brahmin was residing in a city of eastern India. He was happy in every way, but he was upset because he did not have a child.
Many years of his marriage had passed but he and his wife were still childless. Brahmin went to village-village for alms. On one such day, a house refused to give some donation and said that childless should not be aloof. He suggested worship of Lord Vishnu and mother Chandrika. Brahmin and his wife performed fast and worship and consequently the child was born. Since then Maghi Purnima is celebrated every year.
How to perform Puja:
1. First of all, take bath before sunrise on this day.
2. When you finish bathing, offer water to the Sun God (Surya Devta) while pronouncing the sun mantra.
3. After offering water, worship Lord Madhusudan on MaghaPurnima.
4. Give donations and Dakshina to the poor and Brahmins during the day.
5. Give black sesame seeds especially in donation. It gives peace to the ancestors.
Important things to keep in mind
– On the day of Magh Purnima, food should be eaten only after bathing and meditation
– It would be best to observe fast on this day.
– Follow a pure Diet & Behavior on This Day.
– Do the worship of Shiva on the night of full moon.
Was this article helpful? Tell us in the comments section, we would love to hear from you!