Today (29 March) is Mahavir Jayanti which is an important festival especially for Jain community. It is believed that Lord Mahavir, 24th Tirthankara of Jainism was born on this day. Mahavir Jayanti/ Mahavir Jayanti Kalyanak is a significant day for the Jain community across the world. Every year Mahavir Jayanti falls to Shukla Triadashi of Chaitra because according to Jain texts, Lord Mahavira was born on the 13th day of the bright half of the moon in the month of Chaitra in the year 599 BCE.
Devotees chant mantras and offer puja to the idol of Lord Mahavir. Idols are also given a ceremonial bath called Abhisheka. On this auspicious day, Awaaznation.com has listed out important teachings of Lord Mahavira that still hold importance.
Lord Mahavira Philosophy
Mahavira’s main philosophy & the main philosophy of Jainism, has to do with three principles:
- Pluralism (Anekantavada)
- The Doctrine of Postulation (Syadvada)
- And the law of Cause and Effect (Karma).
16 Inspiring Thoughts of Lord Mahavira That Are Still relevant Today!
1. “Live and allow others to live; hurt no one; life is dear to all living beings.”
2. “The most important principle of environment is that you are not the only element.”
3. “Have compassion towards all living beings. Hatred leads destruction.”
4. “The greatest mistake of a soul is non-recognition of its real self and can only be corrected by recognizing itself.”
5. “Silence and Self-control is non-violence.”
6. “Fight with yourself, why fight with external foes? He, who conquers himself through himself, will obtain happiness.”
7. “Respect for all living beings is non‑violence.”
8. “Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being.”
9. “In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self.”
10. “All human beings are miserable due to their own faults, and they themselves can be happy by correcting these faults.”
11. “Every soul is in itself absolutely omniscient and blissful. The bliss does not come from outside.”
12. “There is no enemy out of your soul. The real enemies live inside yourself, they are anger, proud, greed, attachments and hate.”
13. “All souls are equal and alike and have the similar nature and qualities.”
14. “A man is seated on top of a tree in the midst of a burning forest. He sees all living beings perish. But he doesn’t realize that the same fate is soon to overtake him also. That man is a fool.”
15. “It is better to win over self than to win over a million enemies.”
16. “There is no separate existence of God. Everybody can attain God-hood by making supreme efforts in the right direction.”
Watch Video: The Story of Mahavira: Jainism and the Practice of Ahimsa (Non-Violence)
Which thought did u like most? Tell us in the comments section below! You can share more information and facts on #MahavirJayanti ! Use hashtags #HappyMahavirJayanti , #MahavirJayanti2018 , #MahavirJayantiKalyanak to get involved.