Speaker Sumitra Mahajan is apparently “not pleased” with Rahul Gandhi’s “theatrics” when he walked across the Well of the House to hug Prime Minister + Narendra Modi and followed it with a wink at his fellow Congress MP. Urging the lawmakers to maintain the decorum and sanctity of the House, the speaker chastised the Congress chief. “The manner in which it was done was not right. I didn’t like it too,” the Speaker said.
Yeh samajh lo ki sadan ki garima humein hi rakhni rahi, koi bahar ka aakar nahi rakehega.Humein apni garima bhi rakhni hai as a parliament member. Mein chahti hun ki tum sab log prem se raho. Mere dushman nahi hain, Rahul ji, bete jaise hi lagte hain: Sumitra Mahajan, LS speaker pic.twitter.com/9g92d9fkrw
— ANI (@ANI) July 20, 2018
The Speaker’s observation came soon after the Lok Sabha was reconvened after a brief adjournment during home minister Rajnath Singh’s speech.
Speaker Sumitra Mahajan reprimands Rahul Gandhi for hugging PM. This isn’t the 1st time she has spoken for Modi. In 2015, she had expunged an entire reference by Bhagwant Mann criticising PM for agrarian distress only because he used the phrase ‘Mann ki Baat’. #NoConfidenceMotion
— Ruhi Tewari (@RuhiTewari) July 20, 2018
1. Soft-spoken Sumitra Mahajan, an eight-time BJP MP, is a battle-hardened leader who has risen from the ranks to the top post of Lok Sabha Speaker.
2. Interestingly, the official name of 71-year-old Mahajan, the eldest and senior-most among women Members of Parliament, in the 16th Lok Sabha MPs’ list is also mentioned as “Sumitra Mahajan (Tai)”.
The fact that Speaker Sumitra Mahajan had to adjourn the house for eight minutes even as @RahulGandhi was launching into a fierce attack on the Prime Minister and Defense Minister (calling them liars) is testament to his success in unnerving the government. #earthquake anyone?
— Anand Kochukudy (@AnandKochukudy) July 20, 2018
3. Mahajan is the second woman after Meira Kumar to be elected as Lok Sabha Speaker. 4. Starting her political life at the age of 39, she became the deputy mayor and then an MP from Indore in Madhya Pradesh. She was a minister of state in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee cabinet from 1999 to 2004, holding different portfolios of human resources, communications, IT, petroleum and natural gas.
5. A lawyer-turned-politician, Mahajan is known for her trademark simplicity, honesty and clean image beside her impeccable winning record at the hustings.
Time alloted to TDP in #NoConfidenceMotion – 13 Mins
TDP MP Jayadev Galla spoke for 60 mins
and still "Sumitra Mahajan is most biased Speaker in the history of our Lok Sabha"
Slow Claps https://t.co/lEqg2sajfw
— Rishi Bagree 🇮🇳 (@rishibagree) July 20, 2018
6. An active parliamentarian, she has not only headed important committees but has also been a keen debater and avid questioner inside the House, often seen putting ministers on the mat with her calm but firm interventions.
7. The mild-mannered Mahajan has over the years emerged as a force to reckon with in Indore where she never lost since she first became an MP in 1989 and a generation of opposition leaders have been waiting to trounce her.
LS speaker Sumitra Mahajan says-
"Winking is not appropriate in the Parliament."
That's perhaps why Baba Ramdev did not get a BJP ticket in 2014 elections.
— Punster® (@Pun_Starr) July 20, 2018