The government of India had taken a few really good steps for security of working women. But unfortunately we are unaware of these legal aspects. Women are not weak but they do not know their rights or initiatives that are taken in the favour of women empowerment. Here we are sharing a strong initiative of government of India that will really help a woman at their workplace.
- The Government of India (GoI) has enacted the Protection of Women from Sexual Harassment at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act (the SH Act), 2013 with the objective to create a safe and secure workplace for women free from sexual harassment. This Act caters to women working both in the organised and unorganised sector and establishes a redressal mechanism for the disposal of their complaints.
- This Act is unique in its broad coverage which includes all women irrespective of their work status, whether working in organised or unorganised, public or private sectors, regardless of hierarchy. The domestic workers are also included within its ambit.
- It defines “sexual harassment at the workplace” in a comprehensive manner, to cover circumstances of implied or explicit promise or threat to a woman’s employment prospects or creation of hostile work environment or humiliating treatment, which can affect her health or safety. For details, kindly read the FAQ uploaded on the portal.
- This Sexual Harassment electronic Box (SHe-Box) is an effort of GoI to provide a single window access to every woman, irrespective of her work status, whether working in organised or unorganised, private or public sector, to facilitate the registration of complaint related to sexual harassment. Any woman facing sexual harassment at the workplace can register their complaint through this portal. Once a complaint is submitted to the ‘SHe-Box’, it will be directly sent to the concerned authority having jurisdiction to take action into the matter.
For Registering Complaints Related to Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- For registering complaints through the SHe-Box, a valid email id is required. The registration of complaint through SHe-Box is very easy. To register a complaint, please click on the tab Register Your Complaint as shown on the screen. The next screen will ask information about the nature of office where alleged act(s) of sexual harassment took place (Government/Private); choosing the right tab will open a complaint registration form. After filling all the necessary details, kindly click on the submit tab for its submission.
- Once the complaint is submitted, a confirmation message is sent to your email id (mentioned in the complaint form) containing a link through which you can use your email id as user id for the account created on SHe-Box and, generate a password to view the status of the complaint from time to time. For details regarding the registration process, kindly read the User Manual uploaded on the website.