Asaram Bapu is one of the 14 self-styled gurus who has been declared ‘fake gurus’ by the Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad. Like him, many of the gurus on the list are in jail. A special SC/ST court in Jodhpur on Saturday reserved its order for April 25 in a rape case against self-styled godman Asaram Bapu after the final arguments were completed.
Controversial & self-proclaimed Godman Asaram Bapu, who is in jail since 31 August 2013, was charged under relevant sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and the Scheduled Castes and Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act after a teenage girl had alleged that she was sexually assaulted by Asaram during her stay at his ashram in Mani village. The girl, who belonged to Shahjahanpur in Uttar Pradesh, was a student living in the ashram.
Here is the whole timeline
* The alleged incident of sexual assault took place on August 15, 2013.
* On August 20, parents of the victim filed a complaint in Delhi and later the case was transferred to Jodhpur police.
* On August 23, supporters of Asaram Bapu attacked Kamla Market police station in Delhi.
* Five days later, victim’s father demanded death for Asaram Bapu, while godman’s son describes the minor as mentally unstable.
* On August 29, Asaram Bapu indirectly alleged that he was being targeted by the then Congress president Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul.
* While Asaram was evading arrest, his son said that his father is not hiding and would surrender once he recovers from trigeminal neuralgia.
* On August 31, Jodhpur police arrested Asaram, who was later sent to jail by a court. His supporters created a ruckus outside court against the order.
* In November 2013, the Jodhpur police filed chargesheet against Asaram Bapu and four co-accused in the rape case.
* In early 2014, the trial for the Jodhpur case began.
* During one of the hearing, his defence lawyer, Ram Jethmalani, had made an absurd argument and said that the victim had a chronic disease “which draws a woman to a man.
* In February 2015, Rahul K Sachan, a witness in the case was stabbed outside the local court. He was supposed to give his statement.
* On July 8 in 2015, a witness, Sudha Pathank turned hostile and told the court that she had no knowledge about Asaram’s activities.
* Four days later, a key witness, Kripal Singh was shot at by two motorcycle-borne people in Shahjahanpur.
* The final arguments in the case were completed in the court of SC/ST Cases Special Judge Madhu Sudan Sharma on April 7 this year.
Let us inform you that another self-styled Guru, Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, was found guilty of raping two followers in 2002. After he was convicted, violence erupted as thousands of his followers burnt cars, damaged property and targeted residents in some Haryana cities. Police say 38 people have died in the violence. This time as per reports police will take strict action to deal with the situation.
Stay connected with Awaaznation.com for more updates!