Facebook has acknowledged the data leakage of 5.62 million users of India. In response to a notice issued by the government, Facebook has accepted this. In the case of data leaks, American Facebook users have suffered the biggest setback. According to Facebook, data of 7.6 million people in the US has been stolen. Facebook estimates that 87 million Facebook users worldwide have been affected by the leak scandal. India is at number 7 in this case, while the Philippines and Indonesia are second and third respectively.
Read the key points of Facebook leak scandal-
– 335 people in India had downloaded the app name thisisyourdigitallife.
– This app is now inactive. It is feared that through this app only, Analytica obtained the data of Indians.
– This app was active on Facebook on 2013-2015. In the app, the users were asked questions related to their personality. When this app was authorized to gain information of the users Facebook profiles, then they would get information of their friends also.
– This app was developed by Aleksandr Kogan and his company Global Science Research. In India, 335 people installed this app, which was 0.1 percent of the App’s total worldwide installs.
– In 2016, Cambridge Analytica in the US worked to influence of the users on the basis of their choice in election.
– Facebook estimates that 87 million Facebook users worldwide have been affected by the leak scandal.
– In India around 562,120 additional people have also been affected as friends of people who installed the app. In this way, the possible total number of those who are affected by this in India is 562,455. However, the social media giant did not reveal the identity or place of these 335 people.
Facebook says it will give notifications to users on their profile from Monday
Facebook’s chief technology officer Mike Schroepfer said that the company is taking stringent measures to stop users’ personal data leaking. For this, users will get a new link in their news feed from Monday. In this they will be able to see what kind of app they are using and what kind of information they are sharing from that app. Privacy settings and menus will be made easier so that users can easily make changes. Users will be able to see what they have shared and could delete them. Users will be able to download data shared with Facebook.
Facebook Inc Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg apologized
He apologised for mistakes his company made in how it handled data belonging to 50 million of its users and promised tougher steps to restrict developers’ access to such information. “This was a major breach of trust. I’m really sorry this happened. We have a basic responsibility to protect people’s data,” Zuckerberg said in an interview with CNN.
The data leak scandal strengthens the point in which it was said that Cambridge Analyica had received data from Facebook users and influenced America’s presidential elections.
Watch Video: Cambridge Analytica whistleblower
Stay connected with Awaaznation.com for more updates!