Whenever we talk about the transgender, some people think they are Kinnars who apply bright makeup, have cracked voice and clap in a distinct manner. But trust us they are more than that.
Even today also, in India, transgenders are seen as a marginalized section of the society. But with passing time these people are breaking all barriers/hurdles and inspiring the world. There are many transgenders who have made us proud and have made people to think about their matter again.
Today out of many inspiring transgenders, we bring you a list of 6 third gender people of India who are motivating us to look them with more respect…
Have a look.
1. Manabi Bandyopadhyay set an example to transgenders that struggle and education could pay off. She is India’s first transgender to become the principal of a college in West Bengal.
2. Laxmi Narayan Tripathi was the first transgender person to represent Asia-Pacific at the United Nation.
She has represented there her community as well as India. She is also a transgender rights activist, dancer and television celebrity. 8 Quotes By Laxmi Narayan Tripathi That Break All Transgenders’ Myths
3. Madhu Kinnar became the first transgender to win the mayor’s election in Chhattishgarh’s Raigarh Municipal Corporation by beating her opponent from the governing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
4. Padmini Prakash, a 34-year-old transgender from Coimbatore started her journey by acting in TV serials and later became the popular prime time face of the news channel.
She is the first transgender news anchor in India. She is also trained in Kathak and has acted in some TV serials in the south.
5. Kalki Subramaniam is a transgender rights activist, artist and actor. She also has 2 masters degrees.
Did you know that she was the first transgender rights activist to play the lead role in a movie the 2011 Tamil film Narthagi.
6. Gauri Sawant who is an active LGBT rights activist has set up her own NGO, Sakhi Char Chowghi in Malad, Mumbai. She is a proud adopted mother of Gayatri a child whom she saved from being sold.
She has been fighting for transgender rights and providing freedom to Hijras, homosexual men, and female sex workers all her life.
Awaaz Nation Salutes them for their courage and bravery!