Food adulteration has become a world wide problem and consumer education and awareness is the need of the hour. In India thousands of people everyday get affected by one or the other deadly diseases by consuming adulterated food products. Food adulteration is the process in which food quality is lowered either by the addition of inferior quality material. Today, there is certainly some mixing in everything available in the market.
Tired of adulteration, Akshay Bhandari of Rajgad Nagar gave some suggestions to the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 27th December 2016 by writing an online letter.
Akshay said the adulteration is similar to Terrorism and the central government and the state government are not taking this topic with proper seriousness.
In the online letter to the Prime Minister, he had told that food adulteration should be dealt with strict laws.
The suggestions given by him are as follows:
1. All of the food should be checked hand to hand, so that adulteration could be checked but this is not being done nor is it being taken care of.
2. There should be some changes in the licensing process of food peddlers and a portal should be made to update the information about the production of their food.
3. All the documents should be updated in the portal so that proper action can be taken on adulteration.
4. Cleanliness should be taken care of while making sweets, snacks, other food items and their photos should also be uploaded so that it can be ascertained how many people are working according to the rules.
5. Workshops should be organized in colleges and schools to bring awareness against adulteration.
6. To check adulteration, There should be laboratory in every district and tehsil level of the state. Videography of all tests should be done.
The issues raised by Akshay are praiseworthy and thoughtful.
Akshay was told by the Indian Food Safety and Standards Authority (FSSAI) that the guidelines and rules of food testing have been written on their website, so that any person can check food items. The suggestion given by Akshay Bhandari has been taken into account. And the issues raised by Akshay are praiseworthy and thoughtful.
Even before this, Akshay has tried to reach out to the Prime Minister and the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh to deliver his message.