No one can forget the 1965 Indo Pak war which was the second conflict/war between India & Pakistan, after the first Kashmir war 1947-49.
The war is said to be the one of the most dangerous wars to be fought after World War II and it ended with intervention by United Nation. Out of many points, here are few important points that you must know about the war!
Have a look.
* Pakistani Army started ‘Operation Desert Hawk’ around 1965 in the Rann of Kutch to keep the Indian forces engaged in Kutch so that the Pakistani Army could launch an attack in Kashmir area. This is how the tension started.
* On August 5, 30,000 Pakistani soldiers crossed LOC dressed as Kashmiri locals and Indians crossed ceasefire on August 15.
* On 28th August 1965, our Indian army opened up its front and began big actions. The army went 8 kilometers inside the Pakistan occupied Kashmir and after weeks of fighting, India took control of strategically important Haji Pir Pass.
* The then Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri took a brave decision by giving Indian Army the permission to launch an attack in Pakistan.
* The war was a largest tank battle after WW II as 128 tanks and 150 Pakistani tanks were destroyed.
* The war did not last for more than three weeks. After a UN intervention, both India and Pakistan agreed to accept the ceasefire which was declared in September 1965.
* After the war Tashkent agreement (a peace agreement) between India and Pakistan was signed on 10 January 1966 that resolved the Indo-Pak 1965 war.
* There has been a debate over who was the real winner of the war for a long, long time now.
Watch Video – 1965 India-Pakistan War Documentary
We have no doubt that our Indian army fought courageously and their efforts must be praised. You can share more facts about the war in the comment section, we would love to hear from you!