INS Kalvari is India’s first Scorpene-class submarine. PM Narendra Modi has commissioned scorpene-class submarine INS Kalvari into the Indian Navy on 14 December 2017. It is a great news as this time when our ties with China and Pakistan continue to be under pressure.
It has been manufactured in India under Project 75 and is a definite boost to Indian Navy’s surveillance and attack capabilities.
We have compiled top 7 facts about the first made-in-India Scorpene class Submarine. We bet these points will make you super proud.
Have a look..
1. It will be the most modern non-nuclear submarine in the Navy and is designed by French naval defense with the transfer of technology from a foreign collaborator -DCNS of France.
2. The Kalvari INS has a total length of 67.5 metres and a height of 12.3 metres.
3. The submarine weighs 1,565-tonne and is named after the dreaded tiger shark which is a deadly deep-sea predator of the Indian Ocean.
4. The features of the Scorpenes include low radiated noise levels, hydro-dynamically optimised shape, ability to launch crippling attacks with precision-guided weapons.
5. Do you know what ‘Kalvari’ means? It means Tiger Shark in Malayalam to reflect its agility, strength and predatory prowess.
6. It also has the capability of undertaking offensive operations.
7. Ins Kalvari is first of six Scorpene submarines to join the Indian Navy and the second Scorpene submarine, INS Khanderi, is undergoing trials.
Watch Video: India’s Deadly Shark INS Kalvari And Everything About It.
All Indians are feeling super proud as India’s deadliest Scorpene class submarine, joined the Navy today.