Brigadier (retd.) Kapil Mohan, the man behind one of the world’s best dark rum, passed away on January 6 at the age of 88. Kapil Mohan died of cardiac arrest in Ghaziabad. Mohan had launched the Old Monk rum brand on December 19, 1954.
How much do you know about Kapil Mohan, a recipient of Padma Shri in 2010 and creator of iconic ‘Old Monk’ rum? In a unique attempt to pay tribute to Kapil Mohan, we have collected some less known facts about the creator of Iconic rum ‘Old Monk’.
Unique facts about the great man
* Did you know, Kapil hardly ever downed a peg? Yet he was the man behind one of the world’s best selling dark rum.
* Mohan was also behind the success of other famous brands like Solan No.1, and Golden Eagle, before age.
* Ironically, Kapil Mohan was the teetotaller himself which is a practice of complete personal abstinence from alcoholic beverages. Yet, he ran the company under his guidance for over four decades.
* He was also the president of the municipal committee at Solan (Himachal Pradesh.)
* Kapil Mohan was the chairperson and managing director of the brewery Mohan Meakin. The company traces its origins to a brewery which was established by Edward Dyer in Kasauli in 1855.
* The name was changed to Mohan Meakin Breweries Ltd in 1966. Then from 1980, the name was further changed to Mohan Meakin Ltd.
* Old Monk is very famous in India and till the mid 2000s, it was the highest-selling liquor brand in our country.
Twitter is paying tribute to the iconic man & Here are some tweets
Kapil Mohan was a man behind the most favorite drink of youth
Sad to hear about the demise of the creator of iconic OLD MONK RUM – Brigadier (Retd.) Kapil Mohan, who ran Mohan Meakin Ltd. Undoubtedly the most favorite drink of youth and the armed forces among others in India. May his soul Rest In Peace. Prayers. pic.twitter.com/e90ZIHm2yv
— Aditya Raj Kaul (@AdityaRajKaul) January 8, 2018
A legend which gave an outstanding brand
Kapil Mohan, man behind the success of Old Monk, passes away at 88 https://t.co/bjgZH4898E@Aadimanaw 🙁 Another legend which gave an outstanding brand with we Indians can boast about outside India. #oldmonk#indianrumpic.twitter.com/iuSV1nZVsE
— Abhinav Kumar (@singhabhinav) January 8, 2018
Old monk rum ‘the favorite evening companion’
Kapil Mohan, a teetotaller hardly ever downed a peg. Yet, the dark rum in a fat bottle was the favourite evening companion for millions cutting across age, class and continents.#OldMonkDies
— Mayukh Ranjan Ghosh (@mayukhrghosh) January 9, 2018
May his soul rest in peace
— Avigyan (@avigyan31) January 9, 2018
Old monk evokes nostalgia
— Firstpost (@firstpost) January 9, 2018
Watch Video: Old Monk Is The Best
We pay tribute to Kapil Mohan. He will always be remembered for his great creation.