On January 15, the entire nation remembers a civil rights hero whose accomplishments have continued to inspire generations of people. Yes, we are talking about Martin Luther King Jr whose legacy continues right up to this day, over 50 years after his assassination.
Born on 1929, we celebrate his birth anniversary on January 15. In honor of the day, here are lesser-known facts about him and life changing quotes by this legendary civil rights activist.
Let’s have a look at some facts about King that make him a legend
* King’s birth name was Michael, not Martin.
* The civil rights leader, Martin was arrested 29 times.
* King was the youngest man at the time to receive a Nobel Peace Prize.
* Another shocking fact is there are approximately 900 streets named after Martin Luther King in the US.
* King was nearly stabbed to death 10 years before his assassination. His mother was also murdered by a bullet.
* Martin Luther King is the only non-president to have a national holiday in his name. Apart from him, George Washington is the only other American to have had his birthday observed as a national holiday.
Thought-Provoking quotes by Martin Luther
* “If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.“
* “Darkness can’t drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate can’t drive out hate, only love can do that.“
* * “Even if I knew that tomorrow the whole world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.“
* “We are saved by faith only, but the faith that saves is never alone.“
* “If you want to change world, pick up your pen & write.“
* “The dog is the most faithful of animals & would be much esteemed where it is not so common. Our Lord God has made his greatest gifts the commonest.“
* “Every man must do two things alone – he must do his own believing & his own dying.“
* “Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.“
* “If I am not allowed to laugh in heaven, I don’t want to go there.“
* “Be a sinner and sin boldly, but believe & rejoice in Christ even more boldly.“
* “The fewer the words, the better the prayer.“
* “Faith is a living, daring confidence in God’s grace, so sure & certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.“
* “You aren’t only responsible for what you say, but also for what you don’t say.“
* “The Lord commonly gives riches to foolish people, to whom he gives nothing else.“