16 December is likely to be remembered by everyone. Five years ago on this day, a 23-year-old physiotherapist was brutally assaulted and raped by six persons, including one juvenile, on a moving bus in South Delhi. Nirbhaya gang rape case was so brutal and heinous that it changed the entire way people used to look at sex crimes. Even Supreme Court also decided that the four convicts will be hanged till death and upheld the death penalty awarded to all four convicts in Nirbhaya gang-rape case by the High Court.
A controversial film on the this gangrape was made by Leslee Udwin which features an interview with one of the six rapists. Here are some of the most outrageous and worst quotes from the documentary. These quotes are by Mukesh, the driver of the bus, convicted of rape, and sentenced to death; ML Sharma and AP Singh – advocates for the defence.
Mukesh, the convict
* “You can’t clap with one hand, it takes two hands. A decent girl won’t roam around at 9′ o clock at night.
* “A girl is far more responsible for rape than a boy. Boy and girl are not equal. Housework and housekeeping is for girls, not roaming in discos and bars at night doing wrong things, wearing wrong clothes. About 20 per cent of girls are good.”
* “When being raped, she shouldn’t fight back. She should just be silent and allow the rape. Then they’d have dropped her off after ‘doing her’, and only hit the boy.”
* “In our society we never allow girls to come out of the house after 6:30 or 7:30 or 8:30 with an unknown person.”
* “The death penalty will make things even more dangerous for girls. Now when they rape, they won’t leave the girl like we did. They will kill her. Before, they would rape and say, “Leave her, she won’t tell anyone.” Now when they rape, especially the criminal types, they will just kill the girl. Death.”
* “You are talking about man and woman as friends. Sorry, that doesn’t have any place in our society. A woman means I immediately put the sex in his eyes. ML Sharma (Defence lawyer for the rapists).”
* “If my daughter or sister engaged in pre-marital activities and disgraced herself and allowed herself to lose face and character by doing such things, I would most certainly take this sort of sister or daughter to my farmhouse, and in front of my family, I would put petrol on her and set her alight. (The other lawyer, AP Singh).”
It’s hard to imagine anything less horrific coming from the mouth of a gang rapist.