A special CBI court on 21 December 2017 acquitted former telecom minister and DMK leader Mr A. Raja with other accused in a case on alleged irregularities in the 2008 allocation of 2G telecom spectrum and licences.
The judgment was given by the special CBI judge OP Saini. The Supreme Court bench comprising Justices GS Singhvi and AK Ganguly asked the Government to set up a special court to deal with the scam. As a result of which, O.P Saini was designated by the Delhi government to undertake the trial of all 2G cases.
Who is OP Saini? Here are 7 facts about the judge who gave the biggest judgment in 2G scam case.
1. 57 Yrs old O.P Saini (Om Prakash Saini) is from Haryana and started his career as a sub-inspector in Delhi Police.
2. He appeared for the judicial magistrate examination after six years of his police service and was selected.
3. Apart from 2g scam case, he also has heard cases relating to the CWG, putting behind bars Suresh Kalmadi’s and his aides.
4. On March 19, 2017, O.P Saini used his special powers (under Section 319 of the CrPC to summon three more accused in the 2G case. They were Sunil Mittal of Bharti Airtel, Asim Ghosh of Hutchison Max and Ravi Ruia of Sterling Cellular.
5. He awarded a death sentence to Mohd. Arif. In the December 22, 2000, Mohammad Arif and his accomplices stormed the monument (Red Fort) and attacked an army camp, killing 3 jawans.
6. Judge Om Prakash Saini awarded the death sentence to main accused Mohammad Arif and life imprisonment to six others.
7. Both the Delhi High Court and the Supreme Court upheld the death sentence given to Arif.
Watch Video: What is 2G Spectrum Scam? | Biggest Scam of All Times | CNN-News18
What are your views on the decision?