A video of a mother wailing for her 22-year-old deceased son, who died due to drug overdose in Kotkapura (Punjab), has angered people all over India.
The incident took place in Prem Nagar area of Chandigarh on Saturday morning (23 June).
The heart-wrenching video of the wailing mother holding her dead son in the middle of a garbage dump has gone viral on social media.
In the video, you can clearly see that the young boy was holding a syringe in his hands, which means he was injecting himself right before his death.
Take a look at the video:
Watch this video from Prem Nagar, KotKapura, Punjab. A mother wailing the death of her 22 year old son, Balwinder, a sweet shop employee. A syringe was in his hand when his dead body was found. His mother says he used to take drugs. pic.twitter.com/7BxO5UFBzJ
— Chitleen K Sethi (@ChitleenKSethi) June 23, 2018
According to the Times Of India, the mother, Kashmir Kaur said,”My son used to work at a sweet shop and would take drugs regularly. I had stopped him a couple of times, but he would never listen to me. I have lost my son, but I don’t want other mothers of Punjab to lose their sons too. The government should do something to eradicate drugs from Punjab.”
Speaking to News18 SSP Kotakpura Nanak Singh said that the boy was suffering from black jaundice, which caused his death. Although, the video clearly shows that the young boy had a syringe in his hands at the time of his death, indicating the fact that he had injected himself right before his death.
80% of youth in Punjab are addicted to ‘Chitta’
Avtar Singh, a local resident who captured the incident on camera claimed that 80% of youth in Punjab are addicted to ‘Chitta’, which is a concoction of drugs, produced by combining heroin and ecstasy, LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) as well as methamphetamines, reported News18.
The Congress’ election manifesto for Punjab Assembly Polls stated that drug supply, distribution and consumption will be eradicated in four weeks. Capt Amarinder Singh promised to the people of Punjab that the abuse of ‘chitta’ will be eliminated in four weeks.
A similar case was also reported from Amritsar’s Chheharta, where two young boys were found dead at their house due to overdose of ‘chitta’ ( a concoction of drugs, synthetically produced by combining heroin and ecstasy).
Our Take On The Issue
Awaaznation requests all including the Parliamentarians, the people and the civil society to keep the discussion and awareness campaign on the drug issue of Punjab to the stop the death of youths like Balwinder.
What solution do you think will help solve this issue? Let us know your suggestions in the comment section below.
Stay connected with Awaaznation for all updates!