Martyrs are symbols of exceptional leadership and heroism in the face of difficult circumstances. There is no greater sacrifice known to man than to lay down one’s life in the defense of the nation.
India celebrates Martyrs Day on various days. March 23 and January 30 are observed as Shaheed Diwas.
Today, we bring you top 11 inspirational quotes on martyrs and martyrdom that will give you goosebumps.
Have a look….
1. “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.” – Thomas Jefferson
2. “It is truer to say that martyrs create faith more than faith creates martyrs.” – Miguel de Unamuno
3. “The martyr sacrifices themselves entirely in vain. Or rather not in vain; for they make the selfish more selfish, the lazy more lazy, the narrow narrower.” – Florence Nightingale
4. “It is the cause, not the death, that makes the martyr.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
5. “The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins.” – Soren Kierkegaard
6. “The people who have really made history are the martyrs.” – Aleister Crowley
7. “Martyrdom does not end something, it only a beginning.” – Indira Gandhi
8. “The martyr cannot be dishonored. Every lash inflicted is a tongue of fame; every prison a more illustrious abode.”
9. “It is more difficult, and it calls for higher energies of soul, to live a martyr than to die one.” – Horace Mann
10. “Martyrs, my friend, have to choose between being forgotten, mocked or used. As for being understood never.” – Albert Camus
11. “A nation that does not honour its heroes (martyrs) will not long endure”. – Abraham Lincoln.