Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, the youngest prime minister of India taking office at the age of 40 years, was tragically assassinated on May 21, 1991, yet 27 years later his legacy continues to live on. He was assassinated in Tamil Nadu’s Sriperumbudur, a village located about 40 kms from Chennai.
Rajiv Gandhi was born on August 20 in 1944 to former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and Politician-Journalist, Feroze Gandhi. His birth anniversary is celebrated as Sadbhawana Diwas to commemorate the values, attitudes and ideals of the latest PM.
He became the youngest PM of India at 40 when he assumed office after his mother and former PM Indira Gandhi was assassinated in 1984. He was not too keen on entering politics but joined Congress at the behest of his mother Indira after his brother Sanjay Gandhi, an MP, died in a plane crash in 1980.
During his 5-year tenure as Prime Minister from 1984-1989, Rajiv Gandhi planted the seeds for the IT revolution and mobile telephony and brought together Left and Right parties.
Today, on his 27th death anniversary, we have collected few facts you might find amazing & interesting about rajiv gandhi:-
* Rajiv Gandhi’s full name was Rajiv Ratna Gandhi and was named after his Maternal Grandmother Kamala Nehru. Kamala Refers to Godess Lakshmi and Rajiv means Lotus
* Rajiv Gandhi met and dated Antonia Maino ( changed to Sonia Gandhi later) an Italian waitress during his college in UK
* After his college Rajiv Gandhi returned to India in 1966 and Become Professional Pilot For Indian Airlines
* He stayed out of politics until the death of his younger brother Sanjay Gandhi but after he died in a plane crash, Indira Gandhi urged him to join the Indian politics and be her adviser.
* Rajiv sworn-in as the seventh Prime Minister of India on October 31, 1984, as his mother’s assassinated, the same day, by her own bodyguards.
* Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated in a Public Meeting held on 21 May 1991 in Sriperumbudur in Chennai. A woman approached Gandhi and bent down to touch his feet and exploded a bomb, which was placed under her dress
* Rajiv Gandhi was posthumously Awarded with Country’s highest civilian award Bharat Ratna in 1991, by the Indian government.
On Rajiv Gandhi’s death anniversary, the nation paid tribute to the great leader:-
Remembering the visionary leader Bharat Ratna Former Prime Minister of India Sri Rajiv Gandhi on his death anniversary.He is the architect of modern India,brought revolution in Panchayat Raj system & an inspiration for millions of youth.
My salute to him.#rememberingrajivgandhi pic.twitter.com/2Om6y7S4l0
— Sanjay Nirupam (@sanjaynirupam) May 21, 2018
27 years ago his blood washed the soil of his motherland. To protect her sovereignty. Yet have you ever seen Sonia Ji or Rahul Ji seeking votes in the name of nationalism? Sacrifice is silent. Pretence needs noise. #RememberingRajivGandhi pic.twitter.com/s5dMQRHArE
— Salman Nizami (@SalmanNizami_) May 21, 2018
Rajiv ji left an indelible mark on the country with his ideas of economic reforms, decentralization of power through Panchayati Raj institutions, technology for benefit of common men and the concept of India as a great global power. #RememberingRajivGandhi #Tributes pic.twitter.com/Mb3ogQd9iJ
— Ashok Gehlot (@ashokgehlot51) May 21, 2018
My father taught me that hate is a prison for those who carry it. Today, on his death anniversary, I thank him for teaching me to love and respect all beings, the most valuable gifts a father can give a son.
Rajiv Gandhi, those of us that love you hold you forever in our hearts. pic.twitter.com/BBjESe4D3S
— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) May 21, 2018
We pay our sincere tributes to India’s Former Prime Minister on his death anniversary. He was the force behind some of the most significant developments India had witnessed. Our country’s history is incomplete without recalling his contribution. #RememberingRajivGandhi pic.twitter.com/McE27EHbqe
— Youth Congress (@IYC) May 21, 2018
Empowering the youth and women,
Enabling the country to move ahead through technology
Working towards a liberal economy
Working for an equal society.
Great man with a greater vision for the nation. A life well lived, a grateful nation remembers#RememberingRajivGandhi
— Priyanka Chaturvedi (@priyankac19) May 21, 2018
The person who taught the youth to dream.The legend who inspired his family to live for India even when he was brutally assassinated.The memory of this visionary leader who held India to the 21st century will never fade away #RememberingRajivGandhi pic.twitter.com/VNbV2bpm4i
— Fairoz Khan (@Fairoz_JK) May 21, 2018
Awaaznation Pays tribute to the visionary leader, Bharat Ratna, Former Prime Minister of India Sri Rajiv Gandhi on his death anniversary. Pay tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on twitter – #RememberingRajivGandhi