World Soil Day (WSD) is observed annually on 5 December as a means to focus attention on the importance of healthy soil. We all know that soil is essential for the survival of life on Earth, but due to soil erosion and many human activities, it’s disappearing fast. So, Soil conservation is very important to make sure that we have the fertile land we need to live on.
In honor of World Soil Day 2017, we bring you quotes from famous personalities who have emphasized on soil conservation.
First of all let us understand why soil conservation is important-
Out of 100 reasons we have selected only few reasons to show why soil is important.
- The soil is literally the foundation of plant life because no plant and tree can be grown without soil.
- Plants need soil grow as they are important resource of food and other by-products that make our lives comfortable.
- The soil supports the animal kingdom as it is almost impossible to support the animal and human life without land.
- Soil and water co-exist and therefore taking good care of our soil equates to taking care of our water supply.
Quotes From Famous Individuals- Why Soil is Vital For Human Kind
1. “The soil is the great connector of lives, the source and destination of all. It is the healer and restorer and resurrector, by which disease passes into health, age into youth, death into life. Without proper care for it we can have no community, because without proper care for it we can have no life.” – Wendell Berry
2. “Land is not merely soil, it is a fountain of energy flowing through a circuit of soils, plants and animals.” – Aldo Leopold
3. “We might say that the earth has the spirit of growth; that its flesh is the soil.” – Leonardo da Vinci
4. “Essentially, all life depends upon the soil … There can be no life without soil and no soil without life; they have evolved together.” – Charles Kellogg
5. “I would rather be tied to the soil as a serf … than be king of all these dead and destroyed.” – Homer
6. “The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
All human beings depend on the soil to grow food and support the buildings we live and work in. So, It is very important to take some steps to avoid soil disruption in order to keep top layer soil, healthy and productive because soil is a finite natural resource.