Modi government did one thing absolutely right and this is the launching of Umang app. UMANG app is a common platform for various government services such as gas booking, Aadhaar, crop insurance, EPF and National Pension System. Here’s what all you can do with it.
UMANG or Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance is an app launched by the Government of India to provide access to various government services at one place. Launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in November last year, UMANG app is a common platform for various government services such as gas booking, Aadhaar, crop insurance, EPF and National Pension System.
The app was launched with the provisions of 43 government departments that grants access to 150+ services and has a target to reach 200 departments granting access to 1200+ services by December 2019. Currently, the app has 172 services from 36 states and central government departments and four states.
According to SpiceDigital—the company that has developed the app—the availability of the app in 12 regional languages in addition to English makes it user-friendly and relevant to tier II, III cities and the rural areas, thus widening the scope and exposure of the app. UMANG has a dedicated Customer Support for user convenience from 8 am to 8 pm for all days of the week. The 12 regional languages in which the app is available are Hindi, Assamese, Gujarati, Bengali, Kannada, Odia, Punjabi, Malayalam, Marathi, Tamil, Telegu, and Urdu.
How To Download Umang App
To download the Umang app on Android phones, go to Google Play Store and type Umang. Click on install and wait for the app to be downloaded. Proceed to launch the app post download and register for the service. For Apple users, the app can be installed from the Apple App Store.
What Are The Services Available On Umang?
• Employee’s Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) services: Umang app allows users to access EPFO services such as employee-centric services and general services. Users will be able to make claims and track their status.
• LPG services: The Umang app can be used to book cylinders online, ask for refills, subsidies, surrender connections, ask for mechanic services, etc. The services can be availed on Bharat Gas, HP Gas and Indane Gas.
• Tax payments: The best part about the Umang app is that it also allows users to make payments towards income tax. Taxpayers will be able to use Challan 280 or even check the status of their tax application.
• Passport Seva: Customers can use the Umang app to access various Passport Seva related services such as locating a center, calculating the fee payments, tracking the status of a passport application and checking appointment availability, among others.
• Pension: All pensioners can access services offered by the Department of Pension & Pensioner’s Welfare. All facilities such as the pension application process, grievances, and other retirement benefits can be availed through the Pension Portal on the app.
• ePathshala: This is an initiative of the government of India and the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCRT). Students will have access to e-books, educational audios, and videos, periodicals, learning outcomes, curricular resources, etc. The service can also be used by teachers to get access to educational content and teaching instructions. Parents can also use the portal for the same.
• CBSE: Students can use this e-governance app to check their results and also locate exam centers. Results can be obtained for 10th/12th, CTET, NET and JEE exams using the Umang app, at the click of a button.
• e-Dhara Land Records: Users from Gujrat will be able to check their land records using the Umang app with respect to district taluka and villages.
• Digi Seva: The app also allows users to apply for jobs and create their profiles for the same purpose using this platform. Users can apply for all jobs posted by government organizations.
• Crop Insurance: All farmers can use this tool to calculate the insurance premium and the total sum insured for their produce as per the various schemes that are made available to them by the government of India.
• Pharma Sahi Daam: This allows the app user to look for prices using a search tool for medicines.
• Driving license: Users will also be able to use the Parivahan Sewa -Sarathi and Vahan – to take a look at vehicle registration certificates and download the same.
When will UMANG be made available for public?
Even though the project has been on the pipeline for nearly eight months, the actual app is not even in its infancy. The government is still looking for a private agency which it can work together on the project. But with, the government eyeing roll out 50 services on the app this year, UMANG could be on its way sooner, than later.