International day for the elimination of violence against women in 2017 is on 25th of November. The theme of the campaign for 2017 is “Leave no one behind: end violence against women and girls.
It has its origins in the 1960 assassination of three of the four Mirabal sisters whose names were Antonia, Maria and Patricia. They were political activists in the Dominican Republic.
Violence against women & girls is a global issue and gender inequality persists worldwide. Incidents of rape, domestic violence, female trafficking, dowry deaths, honor killings, female foeticide, female infanticide and child molestation are just few instances on violence occurring on a staggering scale worldwide.
Every kind of violence against women should be stopped.
Today, we bring you top 6 powerful quotes from famous personalities that will definitely make you think on the matter
1. “Violence against women is perhaps the most shameful human rights violation, & it is perhaps the most pervasive. It knows no boundaries of geography, culture or wealth. As long as it continues, we cannot claim to be making real progress towards equality, development & peace.” – Kofi Annan
2. “Violence against women is an appalling human rights violation. But it is not inevitable. We can put a stop to this.” – Nicole Kidman
3. “Violence against women is still treated as a lesser crime. Armed groups turn it into a weapon of choice because of near total impunity.” – Angelina Jolie
4. “No woman has to be a victim of physical abuse. Women have to feel like they are not alone.” – Salma Hayek
5. “We must unite. Violence against women cannot be tolerated, in any form, in any context, in any circumstance, by any political leader or by any government.” – Ban Ki-moon
6. “We have to promote human solidarity, avoid indifference, and play a part with society in the solution of the problem of violence.” – Shakira
We hope these quotes will make you think about this matter!