The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on 19 June 2018 pulled out of alliance with Mehbooba Mufti’s People Democratic Party(PDP) in Jammu and Kahsmir. Mehbooba Mufti handed in her resignation to Governor NN Vohra shortly after the BJP’s announcement
PDP and the BJP had formed the alliance in 2015 after they emerged as the biggest parties with 28 and 25 seats respectively. Governor’s rule is now likely to be imposed on the state.
The main question is what are the major reasons behind breaking of bjp pdp alliance in Jammu & Kashmir?
Here are some of the reasons Ram Madhav cited for breaking-up with PDP
1. BJP said it had become impossible to continue in the government with the PDP in view of the growing radicalism and terrorism in the Jammu and Kashmir.
2. “It has become untenable for the BJP to continue in the alliance government in the state,” Madhav said.
3. The saffron party blamed Mehbooba Mufti-led PDP for failing to improve the security situation in the Kashmir Valley. Ram Madhav cited last week’s killing of senior journalist Shujaat Bukhari in the heart of Srinagar in the highly secured area of Press Enclave by unidentified gunmen. The same day — two days before Eid — an Army jawan was abducted while going on Eid leave and killed.
4. “Keeping in mind that Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part of India and in order to control the prevailing situation in the state, we have decided that the reins of power in the state be handed over to the governor,” Madhav said.
5. Madhav claimed that terrorism, violence and radicalism have risen and the fundamental rights of citizens, including right to life and free speech, are in danger.
6. “We are not questioning the intentions of PDP but they have failed in improving the condition of life in Kashmir,” said Madhav.
7. Article 370
At the time of the alliance, there was a difference between the two parties regarding the Article 370 of the constitution giving special status to Jammu and Kashmir. Where it was the core issue of BJP, PDP was not ready for it. In such a situation, it was in cold storage, but the BJP and the Sangh were having difficulty with it.
8. The suspension of the ceasefire, initiated by Mufti, by the Centre was the tripping point behind the decision.
Madhav termed the ceasefire as an opportunity given to terrorists and separatists but the gesture not being reciprocated and Mufti’s demand to extend the ceasefire became bone of contention between the two partners.
9. Killing of Shujaat Bukhari and Army personnel Auranzjeb
Madhav referred to the killing of Shujaat Bukhari and Army personnel Auranzjeb to allude to rising instances of violence in Kashmir. The move marks the end of 3-year of coalition rule between the ideologically opposite sides.
10. Kathua rape and murder
The rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in Kathua was a big dampener for the BJP-PDP alliance. The PDP was critical of the BJP going soft on the alleged party supporters of the accused. The local BJP leaders wanted a CBI inquiry into the incident while Mehbooba Mufti preferred probe by the Jammu and Kashmir Police.
In the days following the Kathua rape and murder, the BJP was being seen losing ground in Jammu region. The incident had gained a communal twist with rallies being held in support and against the accused.