Shivaji Bhonsle, also popularly known as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, was Great Indian Emperor of Maratha Empire. His bravery tales are countless and stories of his victories innumerable. He was the one who united the Maratha chiefs of Mayal, Konkan and Desh regions for a stronger Maratha nation. February 19 2018 is the 370th birth anniversary of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
Remembering the greatest ruler on his birth anniversary, here are some jaw-dropping facts about Shivaji.
1. There is a popular belief which says that Shivaji was named after Lord Shiva, but the truth is that he was named after Goddess Shivai. His mother was blessed with Shivaji after she prayed to the Goddess for a son.
2. Do you know why he is known as the Father of Indian Navy? Well, he was to realise the importance of having a naval force.
To protect India from foreign invaders, Shivaji strategically established a navy and forts at the coastline to defend the Konkan side of Maharashtra. The Jaigad, Vijaydurg, Sindhudurg and other such forts still stand to prove his hard work, efforts and ideas.
Shivaji Quote on bravery- Never bend your head, Always hold it high.
3. Chatrapati Shivaji was extremely secular ruler who had many Muslims in his army and military ranks as well.
Shivaji Quote on religion- Verily, Islam and Hinduism are terms of contrast. They are used by the true Divine Painter for blending the colours and filling in the outlines. if it is a mosque, the call to prayer is chanted in remembrance of Him. If it is a temple, the bells are rung in yearning for Him alone.
4. He respected women and in his rule, any crime against them was a punishable offence. No one was allowed to harm women in his kingdom. There were strict rules and punishments for those who harass women.
Shivaji Quote on Women- Of all the rights of women, The greatest is to be a mother.
5. He was popularly known as the ‘Mountain Rat’ for his guerrilla tactic like ambushing, raiding and surprise attacks on rivals.
Shivaji quote on good government- Even if there were a sword in the hands of everyone, it is will power that establishes a government.
6. A very popular story of Shivaji’s bravery is the one where he escaped an attack by Afzal Khan. Afzal had called Shivaji for negotiations and had planned to attack him. But Shivaji had worn an armour beneath his clothes because Shivaji was sure that Afzal would attack him.
Shivaji quote on Tolerance- If a tree which is not a highly elevated living entity, can be so tolerant and merciful to give sweet mangoes even when hit by anyone; Being a King, should I not be more merciful and tolerant than the tree?
Watch Video: 10 Facts You Should Know About Chhatrapati Shivaji | The Bravest Maratha Ever
A brave king like Chatrapati Shivaji will always live in our hearts.