World Poetry Day is held every year on 21 March to celebrate poetry in all its glory. Although there are no formal rules for how to mark the occasion but you can pay tribute to poets all around the world by reading some poetry, writing poems and appreciating poetry.
It is a day to appreciate and support poets and poetry around the world. In honor of the day, here stands a small collection of quotes and beautiful lines by famous poets.
* ‘Ignorance is the curse of God; knowledge is the wing wherewith we fly to heaven.’ — William Shakespeare
* ‘Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words.’ Robert Frost
* ‘You can find poetry in your everyday life, your memory, in what people say on the bus, in the news, or just what’s in your heart.’ – Carol Anne Duffy
* ‘Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.’ — Maya Angelou
* ‘Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.’ — Sylvia Plath
* ‘There is no Frigate like a book to take us lands away nor any courses like a page of prancing Poetry.’ — Emily Dickenson
* ‘An artist must be free to choose what he does, certainly, but he must also never be afraid to do what he might choose.’ — Langston Hughes
* ‘I am two fools, I know, For loving, and for saying so in whining poetry.’ — John Donne
* ‘Poetry is the lifeblood of rebellion, revolution, and the raising of consciousness.”Alice Walker Read
* ‘Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.’ — Rabindranath Tagore
* ‘Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origins from emotion recollected in tranquillity.’ — William Wordsworth
* ‘Poetry isn’t a profession, it’s a way of life. It’s an empty basket; you put your life into it and make something out of that.’ – Mary Oliver
* ‘Most people ignore poetry because most poetry ignores most people.’ – Adrian Mitchell
* ‘Poetry is the only life got, the only work done, the only pure product and free labor of man, performed only when he has put all the world under his feet, and conquered the last of his foes.’ – Henry David Thoreau
* ‘Poetry is the universal language which the heart holds with nature and itself.’ – William Hazlitt
* ‘Poetry is language at its most distilled and powerful.’ – Rita Dove.
Share your views about this article? Post your comments in the discussion board below, we would love to hear your thoughts.