Mithali Raj, the highest run-getter in women’s one-day internationals, has become the most capped player in the format as well, turning out for the 192nd time when she led India out to play England in the first match of their ICC Women’s Championship ODI series in Nagpur on Friday 6 April.
She was tied at 191 matches with Charlotte Edwards, the former England captain, prior to the start of the match, according to International Cricket Council.
Raj made her ODI debut back in June 1999 against Ireland in Milton Keynes, scoring 114* as India won by 161 runs. She has also played 10 Test matches and 72 Twenty20 Internationals over the years.
Jhulan Goswami, Raj’s long-time friend and colleague, is at No.3 in the list of most-capped players in WODIs, with England’s Jenny Gunn the only other active player in the top-five list.
Interestingly, with her 192nd appearance, Raj also completed 50 ODIs against England – a record – and has missed just 13 ODIs since her debut, featuring in 75.19 percent of all ODIs the India women’s team have ever played (since 1978).
Indian Women’s Cricket team has some of the best players in the world. Each and every player of the Indian cricket team has achieved something in their cricket career.
- Jhulan Goswami has the most ODI wickets in Women’s Cricket. She has 185 ODI wickets.
- India has never lost an ODI against Pakistan, Bangladesh, Ireland, Netherlands or Denmark.
- Mithali Raj is only the 2nd women to score +5000 ODI runs. She scored approximately 5898 runs in ODIs.
- Poonam Raut and Deepti Sharma made the highest ODI partners in women’s cricket. They scored 320 runs vs Ireland under the partnership.
- Jhulan Goswami has taken the 2nd highest number of outfield ODI catches in women’s cricket. She took about 53 outfield ODI catches in her career so far.
- Deepti Sharma has the 2nd highest individual ODI score in women’s cricket. She has made 178 runs in women’s cricket and secured 2nd
- Indian skipper Mithali Raj has played the 2nd highest number of ODIs in women’s cricket. She played 179 ODIs and stood in 2nd place for that.
- Smriti Mandhana has never been dismissed for a duck in an ODI.
- Mithali Raj holds the record for the most ODI 50s in women’s cricket. She scored 47 50s in ODI matches in her career, which is a record.
- Mamatha Maben has the best bowling figures by a captain in ODIs. She has 6/10 vs Sri Lanka. Her bowling is a pleasure to watch for every Indian cricket lover.
- Mithali Raj went 7 years without being dismissed for a duck. She went for 2000 to 2007 years without being dismissed for a duck.