India celebrates National Sports Day on August 29. The day is celebrated on the birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand. On this day every year, the President of India gives out all the sports-related awards like the Arjuna Award, Dronacharya Award, and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna to honour sportspersons and coaches who have made the nation proud with their service in their respective sport.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter and greeted all the sports enthusiasts while paying his tribute to the legendary hockey player on his 113th birth anniversary.
Greetings to all sports enthusiasts on National Sports Day. Tributes to the phenomenal hockey player, Major Dhyan Chand Ji on his birth anniversary.
I urge people to give priority to sports and fitness related activities, which will contribute towards a healthier India.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 29, 2018
Major Dhyan Chand Birthday Special on National Sports Day 2018: Quotes By Prominent Indian sportspersons
1. “When people throw stones at you, you turn them into milestones.” – Sachin Tendulkar.
2. “If I, being a mother of two, can win a medal, so can you all. Take me as an example and don`t give up.” – Mary Kom.
3. “If I have a reason to do something, and I have enough passion, I generally succeed.” – Leander Paes.
4. “I would not stop till I had filled up a bucket with my sweat. I would push myself so much that in the end I would collapse and I would have to be admitted to hospital, I would pray to God to save me, promise that I would be more careful in future. And then I would do it all over again.” – Milkha Singh.
5. “One needs to plan precisely to be at the peak form during the Olympics. One can’t make the mistake of reaching the peak, a week earlier or a week later.” – Prakash Padukone.
6. “Confidence is very important – even pretending to be Confident. If you make a Mistake but do not let your Opponent see what you are thinking then he may overlook the Mistake.” Viswanathan Anand.
7. “One of the thrills of playing at the top venues of the world is to see the indian flag go up whenever I’m participating. That’s enough motivation for any indian to perform there.” – Sania Mirza.
We have no doubt that Dhyan Chand is the greatest sportsperson that India has ever produced.
Stay connected with Awaaznation for all updates!