A player like Roger Federer is very rare to find as he has ruled the tennis court for more than 14 years now with grace, has become oldest world No1 after beating Robin Haase. But Roger’s career and life wasn’t always so settled.
Today, we have compiled some rare facts and moments of his life that will make you believe in hard work and dedication. Let’s get started
* Roger was born on 8 August 1981 in Basel to Swiss father Robert and South African mother Lynette, Federer.
* He started playing tennis at eight and on his first ATP title in Milan in 2001. Since then his hard work and passion never let him down.
* He won his first Slam at Wimbledon in 2003 and has 20 Grand Slam titles.
* When Roger turned 21, his coach and close friend Peter Carter was killed in a car crash in South Africa.
* In his career, Roger has already been at the top of the pile for 302 weeks.
* He first became world number one in Feb 2004 but slipped to a low of 17th in January 2017.
Inspirational Roger Federer Quotes
* “A man who wins, is a man who thinks he can.”
* “There is no way around the hard work. Embrace it.”
* “I always believe if you’re stuck in a hole and maybe things aren’t going well you will come out stronger. Everything in life is this way.”
* You always want to win. That is why you play tennis because you love the sport and try to be the best you can at it.”
* You have to believe in the long term plan you have but you need the short term goals to motivate and inspire you.
* “Once you find that peace, that place of peace and quiet, harmony and confidence, that’s when you start playing your best.”
* “The more I lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me.”
* “When you do something best in life, you don’t really want to give that up – and for me it’s tennis.”
* “I am a very positive thinker, and I think that is what helps me the most in difficult moments.”
* “You can be stubborn and successful or you can give it up a bit and change things around. For me it’s important to have a bit of both.”
* “Sometimes you have to accept that a guy played better on the day than you.”
* “Seriously. I’m not playing to prove anything to journalists. I’m playing for myself, for my fans, to make people happy.”
* “I have two lives, and all the problems I might have, I feel like I drop them once I step on to the match court.”
Watch Video: Roger Federer back at World No.1: winning moment and celebration! | Rotterdam 2018
Stay connected with Awaaz Nation for more updates!