Sachin Tendulkar. The name needs no introduction. God of cricket, master blaster, cricket legend are just few of the titles he has been given for his extraordinary performance in the cricketing world. Born on 1973, legendary Indian batsman and Bharat Ratna Sachin Tendulkar turns 45 on April 24, 2018. We bring you the 16 interesting facts about the cricket genius you might have missed.
1. During the 1987 world cup, Sachin was a ball boy for the match between India and Zimbabwe at the Wankhede Stadium. He was 14 then.
2. Sachin Tendulkar fielded for Pakistan as a substitute during a one-day practice match against India at the Brabourne Stadium in 1988.
3. Sachin Tendulkar used to sleep with his cricket gear during his junior days.
4. The Master Blaster’s first car was a Maruti-800.
5. Sachin Tendulkar was the first international batsman to be given out by the third-umpire. In 1992, on the second day of the Durban Test, a Jonty Rhodes throw caught Tendulkar short of the crease. After watching TV replays he was adjudged out. Karl Liebenberg of South Africa was third umpire in the match.
6. At 19, Sachin Tendulkar became the youngest Indian to play county cricket.
7. Sachin Tendulkar went to watch the movie Roja in 1995 with a beard and disguise. It all went wrong when his glasses fell off and the crowd in the cinema hall recognized him.
8. When young Sachin fell from a tree on a Sunday evening during his summer vacation, while Guide was shown on national TV, his infuriated brother (and mentor) Ajit sent him to cricket coaching class as punishment.
9. Sachin Tendulkar batted in his debut Test against Pakistan wearing the pads gifted to him by Sunil Gavaskar.
10. Sachin Tendulkar is himself a role model for many admires from other sports such as tennis starts Pete Sampras and Boris Becker, and Argentina footballer Diego Maradona.
11. Sachin loves Kishore Kumar and British rock group Dire Straits.
12. Sachin calls Sourav Ganguly ‘Babu Moshai’ while Ganguly calls him ‘Chhota Babu’.
13. The nanny who looked after Sachin has been universally called Sachuchi Bai.
14. Sachin Tendulkar started off with centuries in his debut matches in the Ranji, Duleep and Irani Trophy.
15. Sachin Tendulkar loves collecting perfumes and watches.
16. Refused to shoot for a soft-drink ad that showed him smashing cricket balls with a fly swatter. He reportedly told film-maker Prahlad Kakkar, “That would make me greater than the game.” The ad was modified: he hit the balls with a stump.
We wish you a very Happy Birthday Sachin Tendulkar!
Did we miss any fact? Tell us in the comments section below!