There are many political parties in India but there is one party whose presence, we have seen in the India’s freedom struggle i.e. Indian National Congress.
INC is India’s oldest political party which was founded on December 28 in 1885. It was formed by elite members of the Theosophical Society Movement such as Allan Octavian Hume, a prominent member of the Theosophical Society, Dadabhai Naoroji and Dinshaw Wacha.
The birth of INC is an important event in the history of India. Today on the occasion of 133rd Foundation day of Indian National Congress, we bring to you some unheard facts about the party.
We bet you will like all facts. Have a look..
1. After the formation of the party, its first meeting was held in Bombay (Mumbai) instead of Pune due to a cholera outbreak.
2. Dadabhai Naoroji was the first one to propose drain theory. According to him, internal factors were not responsible for poverty in India but colonial rule that was draining wealth and prosperity from India to Britain.
3. In the first meeting which included 73 delegates, U C Banerjee (Umesh Chandra Banerjee) was elected as the first president.
4. When Mahatma Gandhi returned from South Africa in 1915, the Congress elected him as the president of their party.
5. INC had dominated India for many years. In the 15 general elections since independence, It has won six times and also led the ruling coalition another four times.
6. In 1917, Annie Besant became the First woman President and first Non-Indian Britisher as president of INC.
7. INC played a pivotal role in the Indian freedom movement. It had huge mass support which eventually led to India’s independence from the British Empire.
8. Rahul Gandhi is the current president of Indian National Congress.
Watch Video: Rahul Gandhi Speech on Congress’ 133rd Foundation Day
Heartiest wishes to all Congress PArty on the occasion of #CongressFoundationDay